Menu
Mem1991
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media 350mbs & Sky Q

Hello all I have recently ordered virgin media 350mb broadband only service the property at the moment I have Sky Q and sky multiroom with a Sky Q mini in another room my question is I have the engineer visit on Friday to install the fibre B/B, I had poor speeds with sky hence why I cancelled and have gone with a faster service upon testing the WiFi connection between the sky Q and mini box the speed is very poor to the point i couldn’t even set up the mini box that I received today on WiFi I have had to use an Ethernet cable to use my sky mini box in another room 

Would V/M engineer be able to hardwire a Ethernet cable in for me or is this something that I need to do myself only reason I’m asking is I’m not sure if the wireless will be sufficient for the sky Qs due to the distance although the speed of my current sky B/B was a lousy 2mb, will the 350+mb speed perhaps make a difference in connecting via WiFi or will it be due to distance from the main box

Would I need to ask the engineer to possibly do this ?

many thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media 350mbs & Sky Q

VM Engineer will not install an Ethernet cable, that would be down to you.

The broadband speed won't make a difference to wireless connectivity within your property.  If there is interference from other devices, construction materials or neighbouring properties then wired is the best option.  You could use powerline adapters to provide a wired connection.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless:  

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Mem1991
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media 350mbs & Sky Q

Thankyou for the reply Scott! 

Hardwired it will be then! 

I know what to do from here Smiley Happy many thanks for your advice 😊

mehmet