cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub4 in Modem Mode - how can I reboot remotely

sohelr
Joining in

I have a Virgin Media Hub4 which in in modem mode - I have an Asus R7800 router connected to it. Occasionally the Hub4 would lose internet for some reason or another and I go through the normal troubleshooting of rebooting router and if it doesn't come back up then the modem. I can remotely reboot my router, is there a way of remotely rebooting the Hub4 which is in modem mode? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to look at the underlying problem. I run and have always run my Hub4 in modem mode and have never ever had to reboot it. If you have to keep rebooting it there is a problem. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

No it can’t be done 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to look at the underlying problem. I run and have always run my Hub4 in modem mode and have never ever had to reboot it. If you have to keep rebooting it there is a problem. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

The problem is what s the problem next time it happen do the following unplug the Ethernet to the hub and back in and or get your Asus MAC set it on your PC then connect to the hub without the router connected. Should you get internet its likely a problem with VM DHCP as a reboot of the Asus should get you connected or the hub just stops following traffic or get ARP reply from the gateway only why to be sure is by a Wireshark with a PC to the modem and you could get a another NIC for your PC to do internet connection sharing with your router as you find the problem.
https://www.wireshark.org/
filter
port 68 or port 67 or arp

Uptime is important to us VM will just say reboot to hub to fix a problem which is wrong and I hate to think VM would find it acceptable if they had to do that to their own routers.
---------------------------------------------------------------

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sohelr

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am sorry for the broadband issues. It does need a technician visit, this is because of the downstream channels either maxed out or out of spec.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sohelr

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. This can be tracked online in your online account and also re-arranged if needs be.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update, the engineer has visited and plugged a device on the virgin cable and attached to the Hub4. He said my modem cuts of when the frequency is too high or low, this will stabilise it. I will check the next few weeks to see the modem cuts off again and will let you know.

Thanks everyone for your help, this community forum is great.

Sohel

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s nothing to do with frequency, it’s the power levels that have been adjusted. He has probably inserted an attenuator, a small box with a number on it like 3dB, 6dB or 10dB. It’s either a forward path attenuator, that adjust the download signal level or a full one for both downstream and upstream. Most likely it’s a forward path one. I have a 10dB on my Hub4, but never needed one when I had a Hub3. 

Tudor

Hi sohelr, 

Thanks for coming back to us and updating the thread with how the visit went. 

We're glad things are resolved for you for now. If you do have any further issues, then pop back here so we can provide further support. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs