cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 3.0 and Deco M5 Mesh

ROSAN27
Joining in

Hi, I have just purchased TP Link Deco M5 Home Mesh WiFi system with 3 nodes. I have installed it by following the instructions on the app which was very easy to do and with no problems. Once all set up I now have an another WiFi network to choose from in addition to the one being provided by the Virgin Hub 3.0. Since the install I have read with interest that the recommended set up should be by putting the V Hub into modem mode? As far as I can tell I do not have any issues and I have extended my WiFi around the house with this additional network. The original Virgin network is still being used by many devices especially home automation plugs, bulbs etc which is great as I haven’t had to reconnect them. Also I have other kit hardwired to the V Hub which I understand all the ports except one become disabled when in only modem mode. To this end can anybody explain the likely problem by not putting the V Hub into modem mode and is it worth changing? If it is better to go down this route could it be explained step by step please? Many thanks in advance.

32 REPLIES 32

tmcg1
Joining in

I have been successfully using an old VM router in modem mode with a Deco p9 mesh and tp-link gigabyte switch.

Just upgraded to a VM3 and faster broadband speed. I wanted to use the routers ports and wifi to extend the range and remove the switch.

So put the P9's in access point mode - it worked brilliantly to the main Deco (via ethernet cable), but as soon as I set up the other Decos (using cables) the whole lot crashed.

Any suggestions, or do i just put the router in modem mode and go to the previous setup?

I also installed SkyQ with two mini boxes - never turn off your network! Its great fun having to reboot the Sky stuff every time, and do you know the real kicker? The main box defaults to a wifi connection every time and its my neighbours password protected Sky!

And thats why I have not yet tried modem mode as it takes at least 45 mins to get everything working.

Isn"t technology wonderful and so simple to use........

I didn't put the VM3 in modem mode as I wanted to expand the wifi use the routers ethernet ports and get rid of the switch

You should revert to the previous setup as a mesh system works best with its DHCP server. Furthermore, running in modem mode shields you from problems caused by hub configuration updates or hub swaps.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for the advice and I have gone partway there.

24 hours with a stable network and Sky Q and one less network switch. The main deco runs straight off the VM3 in router mode, one deco via a tplink gigabyte switch to my garden office and the other deco working in wifi mode without a cable. All decos are in access point mode and with the VM3 in router mode I get much better wifi coverage, although the 500mb speed is only within 1 metre of the router (on a good day with a following wind). If the newtork become unstable I shall revert to using the deco as a router

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jub956 wrote:

Hi,

You state that going into modem mode will disable the other ethernet ports on the Hub 3.0.  Is it possible to install a small switch onto the active ethernet port and then connect the TP Mesh onto that switch and other ethernet connected devices?  Or by putting the Hub 3.0 into modem mode the live ethernet port will only have one IP address and has no means of assigning IP addresses?

You connect the switch to the other port on the mesh. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Once the router is in modem mode there is only one active port, which you can then cable to your replacement router and/or if needs be a switch.

I have just bought the 3 pack of Deco M5’s and have struggled with install

My Hub 3 has been in modem mode before as I have been running a TP-Link Archer C50 as a router. The cable has been coming out of the top port of my Hub

I disconnected C50, rebooted Hun and tried to install the M5 and each time it can’t connect to the internet.

i tried rebooting and connecting in various orders especially after reading Amazon review

Today I tried something different. I kept the C50 connected and linked the M5 to it and it installed straight away

i would like to know why I have had to connect it this way as it seems a bit clunky to still have the C50 in play.  Hub is defo in modem mode (magenta light) and two channels switched off. M5 is in router mode

Any advice on how I can set up without the C50 would be appreciates

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this sequence.
---------
Switch off and disconnect the Deco's. Put the VM hub into modem mode (see VM website for details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable into the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and leave 5 minutes you should have a connection.
This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

My mate did this with his M5' a week or two ago and its working just fine.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The VM3 in modem mode only has one active port and needs another router to assign addresses etc.

So cable the active port to your new router (which I assume is a Deco) and then you can put a switch downstream from the Deco.

The Deco by default is set in router mode. You can then follow the Deco apps instructions to set up the mesh.

Before upgrading that was my set up and it worked perfectly except for the weekly signal drop out from the Vm Router.....

@tmcg1 - I have tried that multiple times and it doesn’t work.  I can install the Deco up until the point where it wants to connect to the internet.

The only way I can get the Deco to work is by connecting that to the C50. I want to do away with the C50 if poss

Just reading all the posts.

Once you put the VM router into modem mode (to access the router settings type 192.168.0.1 into your browser) you will not be able to access it again until you have set up your other router, unless you do a factory reset (which is your fail safe).

This will take some time, do not expect it to all work in 5 minutes, the router can take at least 10 to boot and function (in my experience) and do it step by step.