cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 3.0 and Deco M5 Mesh

ROSAN27
Joining in

Hi, I have just purchased TP Link Deco M5 Home Mesh WiFi system with 3 nodes. I have installed it by following the instructions on the app which was very easy to do and with no problems. Once all set up I now have an another WiFi network to choose from in addition to the one being provided by the Virgin Hub 3.0. Since the install I have read with interest that the recommended set up should be by putting the V Hub into modem mode? As far as I can tell I do not have any issues and I have extended my WiFi around the house with this additional network. The original Virgin network is still being used by many devices especially home automation plugs, bulbs etc which is great as I haven’t had to reconnect them. Also I have other kit hardwired to the V Hub which I understand all the ports except one become disabled when in only modem mode. To this end can anybody explain the likely problem by not putting the V Hub into modem mode and is it worth changing? If it is better to go down this route could it be explained step by step please? Many thanks in advance.

32 REPLIES 32

The Deco app cannot get an internet connection. The M5 dot turns red and I have to reset it.

i have tried all the methods on this and other threads and I cannot get the M5 to detect the internet at all unless it’s linked via the C50

Have you managed to setup the Deco app?  That requires a data connection (broadband or mobile) on your tablet or phone, and only when that's setup can you configure the M5, noting the sequence that @jbrennand describes. 

Also, you've not got the Deco in Access Point mode?  That's how it would conventionally connect through another router, but it needs to be in router mode to connect to the hub when the hub is in modem mode.  If you connect any router/mesh in access point mode to a hub in modem mode then you'll certainly have no internet connection.

@Schmunkee wrote:

The Deco app cannot get an internet connection. The M5 dot turns red and I have to reset it.

i have tried all the methods on this and other threads and I cannot get the M5 to detect the internet at all unless it’s linked via the C50

If you can copy the C50 MAC to the M5 do that if not you need to power off the hub in modem mode for 2mins to allow a MAC change and try to have only the M5 connected to the hub for 5mins without any other devices connected.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the responses so far.

I’ll try the possible solutions to night and let you know how I get on

Thanks so much legacy1!  Your response worked brilliantly and now my M5 is connected directly to my Hub3 and the C50 is back in it’s box

Thanks to all who took the time to respond 

BigE0n
On our wavelength

Just a note on deco meshes, the firmware was updated last year so that the deco mesh blocks ICMP ping meaning you can not use it and rhe hub in modem mode to produce a BQM Graph if you require any help

We have a Deco P9 Mesh system with a Virgin Hub 3.0.

Just reading this thread with interest. I have seen different guidance as to what to do here, but is it straightforward to simply put the Hub 3.0 in bridge modem mode and set up one of the Deco P9 mesh boxes next to the Hub 3.0 as the wireless router, connecting them via ethernet? Then we have two other P9 boxes we can run across the house.

Or am I missing something fundamental?

Someone mentioned renaming the Deco with the same SSID etc details as the existing Virgin Hub (we have Sky Q for example)

At the moment we have both the Virgin Hub pumping out wifi and the Deco P9 Mesh doing the same and the Deco is failing badly. Throw in a large house and some thick solid walls and I am pulling my hair out!!

Any guidance would be appreciated. I am a relative novice...

@OllieDave wrote:

Just reading this thread with interest. I have seen different guidance as to what to do here, but is it straightforward to simply put the Hub 3.0 in bridge modem mode and set up one of the Deco P9 mesh boxes next to the Hub 3.0 as the wireless router, connecting them via ethernet? Then we have two other P9 boxes we can run across the house.

Someone mentioned renaming the Deco with the same SSID etc details as the existing Virgin Hub (we have Sky Q for example)

At the moment we have both the Virgin Hub pumping out wifi and the Deco P9 Mesh doing the same and the Deco is failing badly. Throw in a large house and some thick solid walls and I am pulling my hair out!!

the preferred way of setting this up is as you've described.

Put the VM Hub into modem mode. connect the primary deco to the hub via an ethernet cable. then add the other decos.

@OllieDave wrote:

If you’re keeping the hub in router mode you need to set the Deco to AP/Bridge mode and disable the hubs Wifi broadcast  

If you put the hub into modem mode then you need to set the Deco to Router mode.

You can’t have 2 devices acting as routers as you’ll run into all sorts of issues.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks - much appreciated. @tehwolf should I rename the SSIDs to mirror the Virgin ones (for Sky Q and other smart devices)