Menu
gibsonianw
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Hub 3.0 and 802.11ac speeds

Hi, I have the newer black Hub 3.0 and the 200 Mbps Full House BB package. I am able to get the full 200 Mbps on speedtest on my iPhone 6s but have only ever been able to get around 45 on my laptop. I had believed this to be due to the laptop not being 802.11ac capable so procured a USB 802.11 ac adaptor (and also realised that my NetBook had 802.11ac anyway - seldom use it at home though but it has same problem). Both computers are Windows 10 and Device Mgr on them reports that the connection speed is 200 Mbps but fast.com and speedtest.net will not go above 54 Mbps. InSSIDer also reports the max rate at 54 whilst other 802.11n VM networks show up as 112 in InSSIDer - not sure they are new ones as street recently cabled for full fibre.    Is there anyway to configure the Hub 3.0 so that I can get the full 200 mbps I have purchased - I would only have one laptop on it at a time (with phone on but not actively streaming) - not a multi-device family. I have seen references on www to "enable WMM" but can't find out how to do this. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Hub 3.0 and 802.11ac speeds

Sounds like you are only connecting to the 2.4Ghz band.

The Hub3 only has one SSID for both the 2.4 & 5Ghz bands. What you need to do is go into the settings on the hub and give each band a different name, say xxx-2 and xxx-5. Then try connecting from your devices to the xxx-5 band. You can give both bands the same password if you wish.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
gibsonianw
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tudor - thanks for info. Unfortuneatly it did not work for me - although I did see the advice elsewhere also. I have changed the SSID's to have -2 and -5 suffixes. I've also tried using MAC filtering to block(Deny) access to the 2.4 GHz network for both devices. Still can't get much more than 40 Mbps on both laptop and netbook. All devices are within line of site no more than 3m apart. The config utility that came with the USB 802.11ac adaptor does show a connection data rate AUTO of 200 on both Tx and Rx. But InSSIDer shows a Max Rate of 54 Mbps. The only other test I can think of doing is to place the Virgin router in modem mode and attach my old BT router (which was 802.11ac compat) - is this hard to do and what cabling is required? Also, any other ideas where Virgin may be enforcing this 54 Mbps limit at. Thanks
0 Kudos
Tudor
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the old BT router is an ADSL router and not designed for cable operation. What you may be able to do is turn off NAT and DHCP on the BT router and if it has it, put into “Bridge Mode”. You then keep the VM hub in router mode and will have the WiFi from the VM hub and also from the BT router. I do not know if this will work because I have never had a BT router only had an ISDN connection when I had BT. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
gibsonianw
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tudor - I'll try that out over the next few days. Plan B would be to get a NetGear or similar router that does 802.11ac without this 54 Mbps limit. Plan C - Ring Virgin - forums all seem to suggest this does not get a result though!
0 Kudos
gibsonianw
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All, just to close this one off - I eventually have a decent speed. I explored the 3rd party route option and had usual phone dilemma with Virgin HD trying to get an answer on DHCP in modem mode (got it working eventually with help on another thread on here). However speed did not improve (and the magenta LED instead of white bugged me!).  So the ASUS is on its way back to that big Brazilian river.  What I tried next was a different USB 802.11ac adaptor - it was a TP-Link one advertised as USB 2.0 (as opposed to 3) and ONLY 5 GHz - what is exactly what I needed.  Even then, it would be good at downloads but time out on uploads after about 90% transfer.   So I decided to swap my FileHistory USB stick with the TP-Link so that the TP-Link is on the right hand side of laptop facing SuperHub -  a combination of all above now gives me speeds between 60 and 140 - it's still better when first booted though.    The TP-Link mgt tool reports either 177 or 433 Mbps.

0 Kudos