Menu
virtualearth
Joining in
Message 31 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin HUB 3.0 - DHCP menu hangs

Yep totally agree Chris and having the exactly the same issues..

@bidmead wrote:

Thanks for the boilerplate response, Ellen_C. But with respect, you've plugged in the wrong paragraph.

You'll see from my earlier posting that I'm not logging a problem with the connection, which is running at a respectable speed.

The issue—and it's not MY issue, it's Virgin Media's issue—is (as I've reported along with others here):

• Access to the DHCP table is glacial. The firmware issues a Web page that reports "Update in progress" (presumably to fill the Attached Devices and Reserved Addresses tables), a process which can hang the Web page for five minutes or longer.
  • The Superhub 3's internal Web server is generally sluggish, but this particular page is as close to flogging a dead horse as I would ever hope to come, World Wide Web-wise.
  • Even if there are no IP addresses in the Reserved List and the only attached device is the one trying to access the Web page, the response time is beyond merely unacceptable.

Executive Summary: the firmware urgently needs to be revisited.

-- 

Chris

@bidmead wrote:

Thanks for the boilerplate response, Ellen_C. But with respect, you've plugged in the wrong paragraph.

You'll see from my earlier posting that I'm not logging a problem with the connection, which is running at a respectable speed.

The issue—and it's not MY issue, it's Virgin Media's issue—is (as I've reported along with others here):

• Access to the DHCP table is glacial. The firmware issues a Web page that reports "Update in progress" (presumably to fill the Attached Devices and Reserved Addresses tables), a process which can hang the Web page for five minutes or longer.
  • The Superhub 3's internal Web server is generally sluggish, but this particular page is as close to flogging a dead horse as I would ever hope to come, World Wide Web-wise.
  • Even if there are no IP addresses in the Reserved List and the only attached device is the one trying to access the Web page, the response time is beyond merely unacceptable.

Executive Summary: the firmware urgently needs to be revisited.

-- 

Chris

0 Kudos
sddunne
Just joined
Message 32 of 73
Flag for a moderator

I agree Chris, same issue, DHCP page is just awful, taken the best part of 2 hours to get to a point that i can turn DHCP off. Going to use Raspberry Pi with Pi-hole to issue out DHCP instead...

0 Kudos
morphy
Tuning in
Message 33 of 73
Flag for a moderator

This is ridiculous I only found about this problem when trying to reserve an IP address for something.  I have been sitting on the HUBS DHCP page for 15 minutes and it still has not updated. In the end I will just fix the IP address in the unit it's self.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 34 of 73
Flag for a moderator

You can try switching mains off to the hub for a few seconds and then back on.  For me, DHCP page loads in about 30 after that, get about 15 minutes to play about on the DHCP page before wait time increases 😡

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
morphy
Tuning in
Message 35 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Thanks teabag for the info. I have not tried as of yet.  I am thinking about getting a router and switch the HUB 3 to modem mode.

PS just to add it is taking less time to access the DHCP page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 36 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Hi morphy,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this.

How has the service been since your post?

^Martin

0 Kudos
mcgurdan
Joining in
Message 37 of 73
Flag for a moderator

I've signed up to literally say this firmware is a joke. Despite having DHCP reservations in place for most my IoT devices the Superhub 3 continues to disregard the configuration. Attempting to make any changes in the DHCP page just causes the page to hang for the 30 minutes. You could probably have this issue resolved by a decent dev in a day or two. Yet this issue has been ongoing for months and months.

0 Kudos
dominator99
Joining in
Message 38 of 73
Flag for a moderator

When DHCP did update I tried to reserve an IP address but when tried to apply changes it asked for password but the hub had timed out so DCHP page went back to 'update in progress' & didn't reserve my entry.

Come on VM sort this problem out!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 39 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@dominator99 wrote:

Come on VM sort this problem out!

Not going to happen any time soon as its not mission critical as you can get your own router with 1Gb ports to do what you need with the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
swquin
Tuning in
Message 40 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Can't tell you how unimpressed with VM I am. Funnily enough a old pal works for them, he said "Our core skill is outsourcing" and admitted he hated working there. Had my hub reset last week as download speed had dropped to 4Mbits/sec. Of course as there is no way to save and restore settings I was faced with putting it all back as it was. I suspect the hub firmware was changed as this seems impossible as others have found. I tried the support line but if you want to use static IP you have pay for "Gadget Rescue" which will set you back £50. Cheaper to buy another box to provide DHCP. What a great company!

0 Kudos