Menu
Roger_K
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Connect App Causing WiFi Dropouts

I recently installed version 11.8.3.5(1) of the Virgin Media Connect app on my Moto G5 Android phone.

I soon started experiencing short duration dropouts of my WiFi so I uninstalled the Connect App.  The WiFi then seemed OK.

A few days later an email from Virgin said that version 11.8.3.8(1) of the Connect app was available and I installed it. Since then I have once again started experiencing WiFi dropouts, though not as frequently.  Again I uninstalled the Connect app. Before installing the Connect app I rarely if ever had WiFi dropouts.

My WiFi is provided by a Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

I have emailed the Virgin app team but I wondered whether anyone else has tried the Virgin Connect app and if so have you had any similar problems?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Connect App Causing WiFi Dropouts

Hi Roger_K,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to learn you are having an issue with the Connect app.

Do you only get this issue if it's installed on your Moto G5 phone? Have you tried it on another device?

I appreciate you mentioned you re-installed the app after a new version, however have you done this since?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_K wrote:
.......I have emailed the Virgin app team but I wondered whether anyone else has tried the Virgin Connect app and if so have you had any similar problems?

fwiw 11.8.3  on IOS 11.4.1 (iPad. 12.9) from SH3  9.1.116.608 works fine (with and without Smart WiFi optimisation. enabled)and also with. VM's Comtrend G.Hn WiFi boosters but I'll see whether I can find time to get Testflight HockeyApp* loaded on my Kindle and Android  smart phone.  

However I need to check with apps trials as to whether discussing the details on this "non Trials" forum. contravenes. the Beta T&C's?  Smiley Tongue   

EDIT: [*] Only one device can be logged into SH3 at any one time!

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
Roger_K
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam
I'm away from home right now and can't easily try another device but will try in two weeks' time.
Roger

0 Kudos
Roger_K
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have been trying to use the latest version of the Connect App. However I have had to remove it as it is causing loss of WiFi connection, just as with earlier versions.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There does seem to be a problem as Rodger_K points out, I myself get these small dropouts as well on a Motorola G4 and Motorola One, I know it looks like pointing fingers at Motorola here - but this has also been reported by someone with a Samsung S8 here

I do not see this behaviour on an iPad 2.

@Rodger_K you can leave the app installed and just use Force Stop to stop the problem, you can then use the App at times when you need it.

@horseman  why not just install the latest app version from Play store on your Android phone for testing?.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Roger_K
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good idea teabag. I have reinstalled the app and will see how it goes, then if necessary I’ll use Force Stop. Still a puzzle though.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I first noticed it around 17th October when version 11.8.33.1(2) was released, looking at the Playstore reviews earlier today - I see that there are also several mentions about this in reviews since that date/version.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote: ....@horseman  why not just install the latest app version from Play store on your Android phone for testing?.

Why indeed ? ...... Smiley Tongue but unfortunately there are also "other" collateral Trials at various stages so I also have to schedule in various combinations of  Trial tests  which does therefore sometime involve many re/un/installations!   Smiley Tongue

VM expect these asinine "homework" tests typically  be completed in hours/days but regrettably with some Smart WiFi/ATF. combo's  I can't currently (YET) perform  comprehensive WiFi testing remotely from our Selsey Beach Hut so it often take me weeks longer due to my senility and actual location dependencies....  Smiley Wink 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos