cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Broadband can't handle 2 Zooms simultaneously

obscenestrats
Joining in

I'm honestly at the end of my tether here. I pay £54 a month and it can't handle 2 Zooms at the same time (me in the sitting room, my housemate in the kitchen - maybe 6 or 7 metres apart). Sometimes it even drops out on a single call, when I'm around 1m from the router. 

It's a Virgin Media Hub 3, from September 2019. I've tried resetting etc, nothing works. Any ideas?

Constant connections are 1 x iPhone 13, 1x iPhone 8s, 1 x MacBook Air 2018, 1 x MacBook Pro 2020, 1 x Apple Tv 2 and then an Ethernet connection to WD 3TB HD.

Speed tests give a 111 DL and 9.81 UL. The UL is disappointing tbh, but I can deal with that - it's just the fact it can't handle Zooms, which is pretty essential right now.

I go around and around in circles on the VM help pages, but it's all useless, as I'm sure you all know.

Any ideas? Is the router the problem?

Cheers

O

9 REPLIES 9

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you are talking about distance from the hub I’m guessing you are using a wireless connection. It would be useful to know if a wired Ethernet connection also drops out. That would be helpful in determining if this is a possible line fault or if it is a wireless issue.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello obscenestrats

Sorry to hear of the broadbadn issues experienced, it's not the level of service we aim to provide. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us via the forums and welcome to the community.

I've taken a look at your account and there are some issues with your downstream power levels that will require a technician. I'm going to send you a Private Message to get some more details from you in order to arrange this.

Looking forward to your reply.

Rob

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested information obscenestrats, a technician has been arranged for you and you can view the details here. If you have any problems with the appointment or if there are any individual's shielding in the property please let me know.

Rob

Hiya,

I can't see any appointment details on that link...

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you obscenestrats, were you able to log in and view the appointment?

Rob

Hi again,

I'm honestly quite annoyed now. Someone came out and replaced our router (which I appreciate), but it's still awful. The sitting room is alright, I get a download of 114 (good) and an upload of 9.87 (not great and less that it was a year ago).

But if I go a mere 6 metres down the hall to the kitchen, where I work, I get a down of 9.95 and an up of 5.68. That's shocking for over £50 a month, isn't it? It's 6 metres, on the same floor of a flat.

Let me know what you can do.

Thanks

VM do not guarantee wifi at all.

BT will..... for £10 EXTRA per month.. And if it doesn't work - you don't pay the £10 extra.

I always recommend people get their own routers!

The VM hubs are decent enough modems but following market research; people were unwilling to pay extra for a decent router.

All WiFi installations are bespoke and will all have different requirements. for most people, the supplied router is OK and they don't need to use their own!

What is in between the hub and the device?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Between hub and device, when device is in the problem area? Nothing - a straight corridor. No doors.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Obscejestrats.

Thank you for coming back to us. 

Are you able to let me know, are these connections dropping on a wired connection?  

Do you have the virgin media connect app? If not I would suggest downloading it as its able to search the property for any blackspots and make any suggestions on how to improve any issues.

Kind regards,

Zak_M