Menu
FreshOutTheBox3
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Broadband & Sky Q

Right here we go. We've got both Sky and Virgin installed in our house. Virgin is the main provider for internet, phone and tv. We've got two V6's and a tivo but because there is a limit on boxes we have to have Sky aswell Smiley Sad

Past couple of weeks the internet has been going down on a daily basis and requires a reboot.

Our layout is as follows. Main room of the house has the Sky Q box with the SH3 right next to it. One V6 is in the kitchen which gets used every now and again. The main V6 in the back bedroom and then two Sky Q mini boxes. One of the Sky Q mini boxes is connected through a powerline.

Wi-Fi speed is quite poor for our 300mb speed (15-30mb) but I would rather not powerline everything. Would it be better if the hub was moved away from the Sky Q box and connect it to the main V6 box with the splitter I have? Is the hub interfering with the signal?

As I'm typing the green flashing wifi light has just appeared and is still blinking away.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Fresh
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Broadband & Sky Q

Hello FreshOutTheBox3

It is a difficult question to answer really as wireless prorogation or interference can be affected by so many things, we have some wireless tips that may help.

Incidentally I am not sure if you have moved the coax or not but the hub cable lower downstream frequencies seem to be a bit noisy 

147 MHz 139 MHz

33.9 dB        32.6 dB

We like to see them above 34dB as it may cause some issues. I will send you a forum private message to arrange an engineer appointment to investigate should you wish.

Thank you

oops PS sorry forgot to say, the wireless LED on the Hub3 will sometimes illuminate for no reason, we are aware and hoping to address it in a future firmware update, it has not been found to affect wireless usage by the way.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello FreshOutTheBox3

Thank you for your message, I thought I would respond in the thread to keep the flow sort of thing. Sorry to mess you around but it looks like the hub levels are all back nicely within spec so an engineer is no longer required, did you move any devices on the coax by the way as this may of affected it. Please bring us up to date with everything.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
FreshOutTheBox3
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Nope everything has stayed the same. Still planning on running external ethernet though to give more of a stable gaming connection.

Thanks
Fresh
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update, yes do not blame you at all as IMHO nothing beats an Ethernet lead for speed and stability although I do wonder if it is long and exposed to the elements whether the temperature would affect performance, anyway good luck with it, please let us know how it goes.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos