cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Broadband - Google Play Store Apps will not update over WIFI

GooniesWorld
On our wavelength

I had almost a year of intermittent broadband connection up until the middle of June. The issues were finally resolved after the matter was escalated and all of the wiring from the roof into my flat was replaced.

I have now started to have a new problem. Everyone in my household has an android device. None of the devices can update Google Play store apps whilst connected to my Virgin Media WIFI. If WIFI is switched off the phones immediately download the updates via the 4G/5G without any problems. So for the last month I have been manually updating each of the apps on my android devices over the data plans which is not a long term solution.

I have had a look at the Virgin Media forums and seen that there are a lot of people experiencing the same problem as me. Clearly it is an issue on the Virgin end and not on the android devices in my household.

After the last problem I had took almost a year to sort out I am not the best pleased that I have another problem.

According to some of the other threads people have had to get routers replaced? I was given a brand new hub 4 so I was hoping that would not be the issue but it seemingly might be.

5 REPLIES 5

sophist
Trouble shooter

there is a related post on this forum with a comment from VM that it is being investigated and will hopefully be fixed before too long..

it’s a problem with traffic reaching the VM-hosted google content delivery servers (theory). there’s little/nothing you can do other than sit tight and wait - hopefully someone in the tech department knows what the problem is (or at very least is investigating it) and will deliver a fix in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks. I will keep an eye on the other thread.

I just got off the phone with Virgin Media. It was a 70min + phone call. They first tried to tell me that I had caused the problem by having both Wifi and mobile data turned on, on my mobile phone whilst at home? I have always had both turned on whilst at home. They then tried to tell me that the issue was being caused by there being too many wifi signals in my area; do they want me to move? I have the issue even if i am sat next to my router.

They told me they were going to raise a ticket and someone would be in contact. I mentioned a number of times that a lot of other people on the forum were having similar issues but they did not seem to care and just kept putting me on hold.

all of hte above (including hte call back) are fob-offs to get you off the phone.

you’ll get better support from the staff here at the forums, but don’t hold your breath on a fix - that is in hte lap of the gods.

I only just had an intermittent connection issue resolved in June after a year of drop outs. Absolute shambles.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @GooniesWorld,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you have been having issues with us recently.

I can see from your account that you contacted us today, I do hope this is now resolved.

Thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide