cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 3.0 Hub Wifi keeps dropping all Wifi devices

urbanbumpkin
Dialled in

I've been with Virgin for over 10 years but I'm having to re-boot my route at least once every day because the wifi connection drops the majority of devices.

Anything directly connected is absolutely fine but WIFI devices are booted off. I can see this by logging into the route when it's happened.

An example of the WIFI issue is that my laptop is literally 2 feet way from the router (on the other side of the wall) and it ang with other devices regularly get kicked off for no apparent reason.

Looking online I can see lots of other people having exactly the same issue. The finger seems to be pointed at the poor quantity of the Virgin router.

Is this the case and can there be anything done to resolve this?

What's Virgins take on this?

44 REPLIES 44

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes Deco M4's are a good choice - better than the others you suggested - were £99 at Amazon & Currys - not sure if they still are

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your help John. Yes they are still 99.

Can I be really thick

I've just looked art the m4 option on the below Amazon link is £99 for 3-5 bedroom pack (costs in well)

My sons PC that's in his bedroom doesn't have a wifi card so connected by a TP link powerline, could this still work in conjunction with the m4 mesh network.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543?th=1 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If one of the M4 units is placed close by, he can connect it by cable to one of the two ethernet ports on it and will get a good connection.

Your powerlines "should" still be fine - we have 3d party router and my sons powerlines work fine from that. Only slight issue is that the Deco units only have 2 ethernet ports. One of those is used by the connection to the Hub - so you only have one "spare". You can use that to connect to the powerline and it will be fine. But if you needed more ethernet ports near the Hub, you could connect a unmanaged GB switch to that other port and then use the switch ports for all other ethernet connections. 5-8 port models are less than £20 from the usual places. I "think" you could also use one of the ports on one of the other two units to connect to the first powerline unit - someone else can advise if that wouldn't work.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for this.

I do have a spare Ethernet hub so I should be able to try this.

With the router set up in modem mode am I to take it that the other spare Ethernet ports on the Virgin Hub router cannot be used for direct connections?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Correct - in modem mode only one port will work and that is the one you have connected the device to.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Cheers, I think I can get away with all using the spare switch hub I have (glad I kept it)

WIll follow your guide here JOhn. I just received my TP Link Deco M4's. Do you know if we can buy a 3rd party modem to replace the Hub 3? I noticed that the business packages use a Hitron or something like that. I spoke to VM Business sales and they said they can see faults on my HUb 3. I have posted the log files in this forum under a different post.

@expatista wrote:
WIll follow your guide here JOhn. I just received my TP Link Deco M4's. Do you know if we can buy a 3rd party modem to replace the Hub 3? I noticed that the business packages use a Hitron or something like that. I spoke to VM Business sales and they said they can see faults on my HUb 3. I have posted the log files in this forum under a different post.

Unfortunately not, you can only use the vm supplied hub. The hitron uses the same chipset as the hub3 too, so will have the same limitations as the hub3. it probably has some additional configuration options to support some other stuff that you can get on a business line, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it’s probably just as much a hunk of junk as the hub3 😉

expatista
On our wavelength
Ok thanks Tehwolf. Just got my TP Link Deco M4 mesh up and running and it is already better than previous Hub 3 only setup.