cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 3.0 Hub Wifi keeps dropping all Wifi devices

urbanbumpkin
Dialled in

I've been with Virgin for over 10 years but I'm having to re-boot my route at least once every day because the wifi connection drops the majority of devices.

Anything directly connected is absolutely fine but WIFI devices are booted off. I can see this by logging into the route when it's happened.

An example of the WIFI issue is that my laptop is literally 2 feet way from the router (on the other side of the wall) and it ang with other devices regularly get kicked off for no apparent reason.

Looking online I can see lots of other people having exactly the same issue. The finger seems to be pointed at the poor quantity of the Virgin router.

Is this the case and can there be anything done to resolve this?

What's Virgins take on this?

44 REPLIES 44

Hoggie
Fibre optic

My son had the same issue with the hub3 almost to the point of throwing it out the window.

Good old dad found the issue, co-axe had been damaged by building work being done by a neighbour.

So new better co-axel cable from splitter to the Hub3 router, and V6 box, cable routed out of the way in low traffic area.

my son now has a perfect connection with no wifi dropouts in over a month, V6 box is well happy and virgin didn't get the bill for repair.

Happy Days 🙂

Phil.

this post may contain nuts 😉

TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
i feel for you brother. The nasty reality of broadband is - ISP routers are absolute pants.... thats why companies have created Powerline adapters and mesh systems -(NOTE: do not ever buy a wifi repeater).

Once you acknowledge this reality your life will be come much simpler:

3 options are available:

1) buy your own (gaming) router and use that as the wifi hotspot - i say gaming because these generally have more power allocated to the wifi signal
2) buy a proper powerline adapter - devolo/tp link/netgear are the bigger brands - you may need more than the starter kit so 1 transmitter and 2 receivers.... - this is my most recommened option
3) Mesh systems - these are enhanced wifi which overide your routers nromal wifi functions.... still wifi though... still get interference- get a powerline...
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub5 350mb speedtest.net result 4th October 2022 DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/edb79d7e5af1cf944814b1853a23837e0fe2ad2f][img]https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/thumb/edb79d7e5af1cf944814b1853a23837e0fe2ad2f.png[/img][/url]

I have got a couple of tp link power line adapters at the moment. One has WiFi at the far end of the kitchen and another is just Ethernet into a pc up stairs.

These don’t drop when the 3.0 hub WiFi drops.

any recommendations for gaming router?

So other options are to:-

buy another power line TP link WiFi box and run it where the router is.

Or buy an all singing mesh and start from scratch.

@Hoggie wrote:

My son had the same issue with the hub3 almost to the point of throwing it out the window.

Good old dad found the issue, co-axe had been damaged by building work being done by a neighbour.

So new better co-axel cable from splitter to the Hub3 router, and V6 box, cable routed out of the way in low traffic area.

my son now has a perfect connection with no wifi dropouts in over a month, V6 box is well happy and virgin didn't get the bill for repair.

Happy Days 🙂

Phil.

Did the poor coaxial cable affect anything that was direct connected or jus WiFi?

@Hoggie wrote:

Happy Days 🙂

Phil.

Who replaced the coax?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi,

I have similar issues and am considering buying a third party router.  All of this stuff is greek to me but someone suggested I get a gigaport router.  Could I ask which 3rd party router you bought.  The VM connect app says that I should have a booster to get coverage in one of my rooms so I am looking for new router and booster system. 

@expatista wrote:

Hi,

I have similar issues and am considering buying a third party router.  All of this stuff is greek to me but someone suggested I get a gigaport router.  Could I ask which 3rd party router you bought.  The VM connect app says that I should have a booster to get coverage in one of my rooms so I am looking for new router and booster system. 

If you get a router or mesh system you won't need a booster

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Yea, I suppose I don't know what solution to go with.  Do I get a gigaport wifi router and then add some kind of mesh device to it if it doesn't help with distant room(s) or do I get a powerline and gigport hub? I think the issue is that I have a room far away from the VM Hub that is part of an new extension so there are (previously) external walls between my laptop and the home hub.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this I have posted before.

I have never used wifi on a VM Hub ! Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either..... (1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a mansion

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks!  Yes the 2 storey house with external brick walls is my situation.  Thinking high end wifi router with access point.