cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Call “Hell”

cocoland
Tuning in

Since starting to work from home a month ago, on every daily video call, people struggle to hear/see me and sometimes I just drop out of the call entirely. Internet is horrific for video calls, but works fine otherwise (eg browsing, streaming etc). 

Before I switch provider, has anyone encountered this and is it a solvable problem? 

20 REPLIES 20

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Are these problems happening on Wi-Fi connections or ethernet connections ?

What is your contracted speed ?

Which Hub do you have ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks for getting back to me. Responses:

• They are happening on Wifi. I have also tried connecting via Ethernet which improved it slightly but not drastically.
  • "Your connection speed is up to 200Mbps"
  • Hub 3.0

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

On Wifi: PING ms: 8 | DOWNLOAD Mbps: 188.93 | UPLOAD Mbps: 20.91

With Ethernet cable to Macbook: PING ms: 13 | DOWNLOAD Mbps: 169.77 | UPLOAD Mbps: 20.97

Speeds are fine then

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Okay, then does this mean I should be switching provider if video calls don’t work? 

Disable any VPNs that you have running.

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

@cocoland wrote:

Okay, then does this mean I should be switching provider if video calls don’t work? 

No.

You can put the hub into modem mode and use your own router that can handle video calls and multitasking better.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi