Menu
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow unreliable broadband 2019 (SH3)

Thankfully the app and website store the data as I didn’t even check that.

the laptop was using two servers, both servers have very mixed results.

If it helps, the servers used on laptop were spitfire network services and fdcservers.net. 

On the mobile, community fibre limited and virgin media Croydon. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 34
Flag for a moderator

OK Just to summarise - your Hub is getting the speeds you are paying for but your wifi connected devices are not replicating (or getting near to) that. Firstly the laptop - what wifi card spec does it have - is it 5GHz enabled? I have a 7+ too and it works great on the 5GHz network - but only get half that speed on the 2.4GHz one. Have you tried disabling "channel optimisation" in the Smart Wifi setting on the Hub and ALSO renaming the ssid's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks so that the can be individually selected on the iPhone. ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jbrennand. In summary...

Technically, the hub has sporadically shown speeds at or close to advertised speeds (sometimes more). 

Wifi initially close to router was getting decent speeds which I would be happy to live with. After a while, the speed clearly degrades regardless of location. Further from router shows slower speeds which I again I am happy to accept within reason.

under device manager > network adapters

i think it is Realtek RTL8723BE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

Regarding disabling channel optimisation and splitting 2.4 and 5G SSID, I did that before on this and previous SH3.

With a reset obviously that all gets deleted. I’ve resetted this device at least 35 times in 4 months and I think VM have a way to check that.

i will try it again (both disabling channel optimisation and creating separate SSID for 2.4g and 5g) and monitor speed this evening and will report back tomorrow. 

Thanks everyone. Hopefully this will work but prior experience tells me there is an underlying issue which i believe is hardware related. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Realtek RTL8723BE is 2.4GHz only - not great really.  Speeds WILL be slower and subject to external interference.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Wireless-and-Networking/Realtek-RTL8723BE-802-11-bgn-Wi-Fi-Ada...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 15 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Abdallah

Thanks for getting in touch.

How did you get on with the WiFi channel optimisation change?

Did this help?

If not please pop back and let us know.

I've been unable to locate your details to check our service so I've dropped a PM to you

You can find this on the forums on the top right.

Cheers

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Fibre optic
Message 16 of 34
Flag for a moderator

You can upgrade the Wifi card in your laptop for £25. I replaced the one In my laptop and this chip works fine.

Intel Wireless-N 7260 (7260HMW AN) Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth 4.0*

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N7474CS

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Vivid 350 | Hub 3 modem mode | Asus RT-AC86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Guys

thank you for taking an interest and trying to help. The suggestion of upgrading laptop card is irrelevant. I acheive speeds in excess of 100mbs at my office with the same device, regardless of whatever spec it is.

my phone achieves well over 300mbs in my office on Wi-Fi.

My ipad achieves the same at the office.

my smart tv at the office (identical to home) works without any faults again on Wi-Fi.

no one here wants to admit that SH3 is flawed. 

Wifi is definitely not one of its strong points.

tried channel optimisation, very little difference.

now I’ve invested £40 into a tp-link powerline starter pack which is something i really shouldn’t NEED to do or WANT to do. But how else is anyone gonna get over the shortcomings of this cheap ass device.

The SH3 is still in router mode.

my smart tv is now hard wired and no faults glitches buffering or delays. Getting 100-200mbs on that.

I’ve set up the power line to have same SSID as VM. Now I get 100+ mbs on iPhone and iPad unless I am near the SH3 where rates drop to below 10mbs. 

Anyone suggesting that wifi is slower than Ethernet is right to some degree. But guess what dinosaurs, its 2019. Who the hell uses Ethernet at home these days? Surely VM know most ppl surf the web via phone therefore Wi-Fi. Why they would partner with this manufacturer to make a deficient device is beyond me. To have sub 5mbs in 2018/2019 is a joke when you’re paying top whack. I’d be hard pushed to find a more expensive rate, on the planet. I should be getting 365mbs and the only way to achieve that is modem mode and direct connection to SH3.

Last I checked, I wasn’t living in the some sub-Saharan third world country. (In case the comparison escapes you, so called third world countries have faster and more reliable service than us).

Virgin send engineer while tweaking some crap at their end. So when the engineer arrives, he does absolutely nothing and I look like a gimp as suddenly 350mbs on iPhone and the problem disappears for 2 hours. In repetition, the engineers one and only suggestion every time was: “just do a hard reboot mate...” sometimes I wonder how dumb they think I am. Why do I need to reset the thing every 30min?

this is no way to treat any customer, let alone a long standing one that has multiple accounts since the inception of your company.

I am very disappointed in the customer service. It’s surreptitious. When I have time today, I intend to call them and explain this one last time and try to remedy one last time. If it can’t be done, I will without question terminate all 3 accounts and move to BT immediately. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Its not irrelevant.  I have just done speed tests 1 minute apart on my Vivid 200 connection on my Macbook Air connected to the 5GHz network and then reconnecting on the 2.4GHz network.  Only difference is the frequency of the networks - get a 5GHz wifi card!   Here is the data fresh off the press.

5GHz Network on top   2.4GHz Network below

Speed 5G Mon 14.png

2.4GHz Network

Speed 2.4G Mon 14.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 19 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Abdallah wrote:

Anyone suggesting that wifi is slower than Ethernet is right to some degree. But guess what dinosaurs, its 2019. Who the hell uses Ethernet at home these days? Surely VM know most ppl surf the web via phone therefore Wi-Fi. Why they would partner with this manufacturer to make a deficient device is beyond me. To have sub 5mbs in 2018/2019 is a joke when you’re paying top whack. I’d be hard pushed to find a more expensive rate, on the planet. I should be getting 365mbs and the only way to achieve that is modem mode and direct connection to SH3. 

If you want to consistently achieve the maximum speed of the highest package wifi isn't the way to go about it, and Virgin Media (or any other ISP) do not and never will guarantee you'll get it since the variables involved in wifi do not allow for such a guarantee.

The way to achieve a consistent speed (accompanied with low latency) is to use an ethernet cable, you may consider people who do so 'dinosaurs' but there are people in 2019 who do things that wifi is not sufficient for. Your use case and way of looking at things does not invalidate the pros of a wired network.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately. the passage of time does not change the laws of physics, which all wireless connections have to obey, even BT ones Smiley Happy

Wireless is affected by many external factors like the wireless environment and client hardware. Failure to understand this can lead to false expectations of wireless connections.

Your wireless environment in the office will be greatly different to your home.

The Realtek RTL8723BE is a single stream 2.4GHz adapter with a max LINK speed of 150Mbps, actual speeds will be about 50 - 65% of that, so even with a perfectly clean 2.4GHz environment where you can run channel bonding without any interference, actual speeds above 100Mbp would be fantastic. 365Mbps, impossible.

Yes, many people use phones to browse the internet, but why would you want 365Mbps to do that? That speed will fill most phone's memory in about 5mins.

0 Kudos