Menu
Highlighted
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Very slow unreliable broadband 2019 (SH3)

We have multiple Virgin Media accounts at multiple addresses. I’ve personally been a customer since day 1, previously with Telewest. Our packages have always been TOP TIER, expecting the fastest speeds possible for our area (south west London).

We currently have Superhub 3. Wi-Fi is extremely poor in terms of range. I have experimented with different channels (1,6,11) in case of interference from neighbours. Still extremely poor.

Last I checked, the advertised speed we should be on is 350mbs. Wireless speed tests have never exceeded 20mbs. Wired never more than 30mbs.

We have repeatedly complained. Last time an engineer came out, he said there was nothing wrong with the line. Somehow the Speedtest was almost 320mbs (on Wi-Fi) when he was here! No issues with Range.

When asked, the engineer said all he did was a hard reset of the SH3. Biggest pile of crap I have ever heard. This man blatantly lied, scripted from HQ. Why does there seem to be no issues when an engineer is present at our property, only to revert  to the shoddy service within hours of him leaving? Coincidence? Could this have something to do with contention ratios?

we stream a great deal. We are heavy users. Hence top tier package. This issue has been ongoing for at least 4 months. Why do I have to reset my SH3 (second one we got from VM) every 2-3 days to get a crap speed? Why are my IT technically minded friends telling me SH3 has vunrebilities (DDOS attack’s). 

I really am fed up. As are my parents. And my brother. We are all considering ending our account after over a decade of being loyal.

VM are in breach of contract and false advertising. We have never achieved the speeds they claim, and it’s not like we live in the countryside!

our LG smart tv regularly crashes when line gets unreliable. We sent it to LG and they say that the WI-FI module is “overworked” due to unstable connection. As a result, Wi-Fi on our TV no longer works.

Can VM please put our account/line on the mode as if the engineer is here...indefinitely? That way, we will actually get the service we are paying for and not feel defrauded out of our hard-earned money. 

Any help is most welcome? Otherwise, likely to end contracts by the end of January. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow unreliable broadband 2019 (SH3)

Turn on the Engineer-is-here mode 🙂

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

When the engineer visited was he testing the connection with your devices or his ? On wifi or on wire?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Excellent question. Initially his personal mobile phone (speedtest app). Couldn’t believe my eyes so I tried my phone. Same result (320mbs) even at most distant location to router! Obviously on Wi-Fi. Without exaggeration, with 2 hrs of him leaving, back to 16-22mbs download and oddly 20mbs upload!

just checked website. VM offer vivid 50 at considerably less (£35pm). We are paying £51 pm which I note is £1 more than advertised rate.

the more you dig, the more crap you find.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Abdallah wrote:
Can VM please put our account/line on the mode as if the engineer is here...indefinitely? That way, we will actually get the service we are paying for and not feel defrauded out of our hard-earned money.

To test that the speeds/service are what you are paying for, you need to connect a gigabit enabled (not 10/100) laptop or computer by a Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub.  The "device" should have been booted into safe mode to disable any software running on it in the background that may be "throttling" performance (e.g. SmartByte, Antivirus, etc) and with the Hub put into "router" mode to remove all other network traffic.  Do that and see what speeds and connection stability are like and report back.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

If your technically minded friends are telling you that the Hub 3 is vulnerable to DDoS attacks then you need to stop considering them technically minded.
Everything is vulnerable to DDoS attacks, the only way to beat them is to have more bandwidth than the attack which is never going to happen for a home connection. No router will save you.

Regarding your LG TV, my 2015 LG Smart TV also has an issue where if it's connected via wifi it'll occasionally crash the TV or just refuse to connect again properly, my 2017 LG Smart TV has no such issue however.
0 Kudos
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Jbrennand. Thank you for your interest and any advice.

i have just concluded the test. 

-Safe mode with networking

-gigabet enabled (default)

-wired with cat 5e

-modem mode

took a while as every time you hard reset, new password.

so lowest led on SH3 is sold purply pinky colour. Presume that is normal.

speedtest.net

download PEAKED during test at 154-155mbs.

final result however is normal for us and abismal. Poultry 40mbs down and 21 up. 

I have been told the suggestions you asked us to make to mitigate any other burdening of the line is irrelevant. The devices should operate at distance  on Wi-Fi. We should be expecting minimum 70% of advertised speed at any time. Currently, we are receiving 11% of our service, even with the precautions you suggested. 

A retest showed 15ms ping (never issues with this), peaked at 380mbs down. Final result 75mbs down 21 up.

third test....again peaks wildly then slides dramatically. This time 166mbs down and 21up.

4th test. 15ms. Peaked and held at 343mbs down and 21mbs up. 

5th test. Peaked and held at 399.85mbs (wth!) and 21mbs. 

6th test. Again 15ms ping. 396.72 down. 21mbs up. 

(i can’t believe the speeds I’m getting so am retesting a few more times to make sure). 

16 ping / 362 down / 21 up

15 ping / 340 down / 21 up

13 / 345 / 21

14 / 355 / 21

—————

does this mean the wifi component of the router is faulty? How can I be getting these speeds now.

gonna reboot laptop and try normal mode.

same speeds as safe mode.

so clearly the modem mode vs router mode is making the difference. 

As this is the second SH3 we got as allegedly first one was displaying same symptoms and was deemed faulty, could this be a manufacturers fault/flaw?

your assistance is most welcome and appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks dreamofcheese. I dream of cheese too. I’m sure my friends meant that there is a particular KNOWN flaw that causes additional vulnerability. They work for LOGICAcmg in space and defence and network security. I assure you they are competent and qualified unlike me.

Your point is noted. Any connected device can theoretically be hacked.

The tv is 43uh750v. I honestly can’t remember when I got it tbh. It’s not latest gen but I’m sure it’s pretty new.

i also have an identical one in my office which is on Wi-Fi too (BT business broadband) and it works flawlessly.

Thank you for your input and I genuinely appreciate any assistance with this. 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I believe there was a vulnerability on the Hub 3 which has been patched, a DDoS however is not a vulnerability nor is it a hack. A DDoS is simply flooding a connection with packets in hopes of saturating their available downstream bandwidth which in turn stops anything else getting through.

With the speedtests you've done the download is still pretty volatile, ideally you should be getting nearly the same results each time if tested in a short period of time.
Having the Hub in modem mode eliminates wifi or any of the other features of the Hub as being the problem allowing you to tell if the issue is with the connection or not.

Were all the speedtests done against the same speedtest server? speedtest.net should list the server it's using alongside the test.
0 Kudos
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Took me ages to figure out the new IP address to access hub changes to 192.168.100.1 in modem mode. 

I have now enabled router mode.

solid white led on router.

performing speed test on WIRED (not Wi-Fi) laptop in normal mode (not safe mode). Same format as before...

omg!

15 / 374 / 21

16 / 360 / 21

17 / 369 / 21

same laptop. Rebooted. Now no Ethernet so Wi-Fi. Same exact location next to router.

Here we go...

19/50/20

33/39/21

31/41/20

ok the next tests are on my iPhone 7+ standing next to router.

8/197/19

9/196/19

9/223/21

now same phone approx 18m away from router with direct line of sight....

9/27/19

12/19/18

11/35/19

now same phone back next to router...

8/74/20

11/72/19

9/71/19

how can this be? The results are now less than half of before. Time difference would be no more than 10min!

0 Kudos