cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow Wifi on just one Mac laptop – help!

smcnamee
On our wavelength

We've recently upgraded our internet speed and a new Router to the Hub 3. The Wifi speed is pretty good on most devices, but there's one laptop (that I'm using to work from home) which is unbelievably slow – around 11Mbps when it should be over 181Mbps! 

All I can think is that it might be my laptop's wifi card – its a MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2012 with an Airport Extreme Wifi card in it.

Has anyone else come across this issue or have any advice, tips or fixes? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star
Hi there is no issue with mid 2012 macs as i have two but its worth holding the alt key and clicking on the wifi symbol and checking what the TX rate is and if its going over 5 ghz or 2.4 if its 2.4 you will need to change hub settings so the frequencies are split

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Can you use an ethernet cable connection ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Hi - not really as I am about 3/4 metres away so the cable would trail across the floor. Can’t be normal for it run quote that slowly surely?

Thanks

It was an idea to get you out of the current predicament that you are in.

You could then look into the Wi-Fi problem at a later time

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star
Hi there is no issue with mid 2012 macs as i have two but its worth holding the alt key and clicking on the wifi symbol and checking what the TX rate is and if its going over 5 ghz or 2.4 if its 2.4 you will need to change hub settings so the frequencies are split

Anonymous
Not applicable

Log into your HUB on http://192.168.0.1, and access the 'Connected devices' section on the left hand side.

You should be able to track down your laptop and the speed & band it's connected on.

This is only a rough guide since its the 'link speed', however could show the reasons why it is so slow in comparison to other devices.

You can also see this information by holding alt and clicking on the WiFi icon on mac os

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I use my 2012Macbook Pro on my connection at full speeds over wifi and ethernet. As an example, my Macbook and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

Mind you I dont use the Hub's wifi - I have my own equipment. So renaming the network SSID's on the Hub and forcing the Mac onto the 5GHz network is the place to start. After checking on a good quality Cat5e (or better) cable first, of course.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks so much – this really helped. And whoever told me about the holding alt over wifi symbol in the finder – that too was really helpful. It turned out my Laptop was switching me from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz even though I am sitting about 5 meters from the router. Guessing its this 'Intelligent Wifi' that comes with the Hub 3.