cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor upload speed

dcross90
Joining in

Hi,

I've been having issues with my connection for the past two days. I've noted some problems whilst gaming that there is a lot of dropped packets. When checking my connection speed, the download is absolutely fine but my upload is under 1mb.

For example, my last speed test was:

312mb download

0.13mb upload

I've done all of the typical things such as soft router reset, hard reset, etc. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I've checked and there are no outages in my area.

15 REPLIES 15

@dcross90 wrote:

Hi Tudor

Thanks for the info. I am using an extended coax cable but I believe it's high quality. It's also been in place for about 16 months without issues.

No one from Virgin Media has asked to come into my home to troubleshoot. I've also noted that this is an area issue and several other people in my area are having the same issue.

it's possible that you are the cause of the issues then. bad coax can affect not only your connection, but that of your neighbours. suggest that you remove it and see if the problems go away.

After 16 months it could have deteriorated, oxidised or shielding could have broken down etc. and could be introducing noise into yours and your neighbour's segment!

That could be expensive if VM find that you've used your own cable and it has caused a problem for the whole segment.as it is against the T&Cs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

@lotharmat the same logic can be applied to any cabling in the Virgin network? More likely for cables that have been there much longer..

As I mentioned, the issue is specific to upload speed. If it was 'bad coax' then I'd expect to see issues with download speed and the tv service.

this is what I purchased:

cable.PNG

Unfortunately where the entry point of coax to the house is located, it made for a poor wifi experience for the rest of the house.

I highly doubt I'm the cause of the problem, it is not isolated to me and my neighbour but a WHOLE area. On top of that, it actually looks like it's been fixed now as the upload speed is back to normal.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Use the cable VM sent you for the hub and do a speed test.

@dcross90 wrote:

As I mentioned, the issue is specific to upload speed. If it was 'bad coax' then I'd expect to see issues with download speed and the tv service.

The downstream is a different  Frequency range then upstream 

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

Use the cable VM sent you for the hub and do a speed test.

@dcross90 wrote:

The downstream is a different  Frequency range then upstream 

as per the post you quoted, it is now fixed so cannot have be any degradation with my non-standard VM cable.

Thanks for coming back to us @dcross90 and I'm glad to hear that the issues have now been resolved.

Please do let us know here, if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L