cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor upload speed

dcross90
Joining in

Hi,

I've been having issues with my connection for the past two days. I've noted some problems whilst gaming that there is a lot of dropped packets. When checking my connection speed, the download is absolutely fine but my upload is under 1mb.

For example, my last speed test was:

312mb download

0.13mb upload

I've done all of the typical things such as soft router reset, hard reset, etc. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I've checked and there are no outages in my area.

15 REPLIES 15

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please go into your hub on 192.168.0.1 and post your up/downstream stats and network log. Also: 

Check with Area faults on  0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

the number indicates there is an area fault. Strange as I couldn't find one on the website..

thanks..

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @dcross90,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I have looked into your account and can see that there is an SNR issue in your local area, that was logged on 28th August and has a current estimated resolution date of 9th September @9am.

You might find that in addition to your Virgin Fibre issue, your Virgin TV or TiVo® services could also be intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

Regards,

Steven_L

@dcross90 wrote:

the number indicates there is an area fault. Strange as I couldn't find one on the website..

thanks..

The phone number is much more granular and will usually give better information than the website!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Sorry but what is SNR?

The problem is purely with upload. My download speed is fine so there is no issue with watching tv etc. 

The struggle I'm having is with playing online games where you need a fairly decent upload speed. I'm getting really frustrated as I've had these problems for 4 days and I'm told it won't be fixed until the 9th September? Even more frustrating is the fact that I can't seem to be able to speak to anyone via the website as I'm put in a continuous cycle with chat bots trying to dianose a problem..

SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio - it is a measure of how clear the signal is!

If there is noise - your upload and download will likely be affected.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

I’m a bit concerned about the estimated fix date. That will mean my service hasn’t been working properly for nearly 2 out of 4 weeks. It’s making me question what I’m paying for..

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

SNR problems are very difficult to trace. They are often, but not always, caused by people using non VM coax to extend the cables inside their home. That’s the reason you should not ever use any other coax cables other than the ones supplied by VM. These cables are widely advertised as being for cable connections, but are not up to specification and as good as a bit of wet string.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor

Thanks for the info. I am using an extended coax cable but I believe it's high quality. It's also been in place for about 16 months without issues.

No one from Virgin Media has asked to come into my home to troubleshoot. I've also noted that this is an area issue and several other people in my area are having the same issue.