cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very frequent disconnections

fuzzywuzzy
Tuning in

I know there are multiple threads along similar lines but I'm becoming exasperated by how bad this issue has got.

We started getting intermittent disconnections at the end of 2022 (I set up quality monitoring in December). Internet would drop for about 5 mins, around 5-6 times a day. Sometimes the Hub (I have a Hub 4) would flash as if it was rebooting.

Online status checker just said to check my connections to the hub but there are other residents in the street with the same issue so it's not isolated to me.

There was a period in February which was better but since 1 March the quality has been absolutely horrific. Here's a particularly beautiful day:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/thumb/726d26b29a7789863f0726fbd2576430c0aea25d-08-03-2023.png

Your Shared Graph

fuzzywuzzy_0-1678451575833.png

Phoning Virgin and I just get an automatic message saying there's an issue in my postcode and it's "complex". No chance to talk to anyone.

My wife and I need to work from home and it's virtually impossible given how bad the quality is. Virgin Media won't provide compensation as, apparently, that only happens if you lose internet for more than 1 day. 

Not keen on changing supplier as we're likely to have to move house at some point in the near future and I don't want to be tied down to a new contract.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do here?

Any ideas

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If there is a known issue there is little that can be done until its resolved.

Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level with estimated fix dates.

Perhaps you should get another BB supplier as a backup. Monthly contracts on 4G/5G mobile networks can be had for ~£20-30/mo. Three had some good deals recently - and Smarty - see whats available on the 4 networks in your area.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello fuzzywuzzy,

We're sorry to hear of the issues experienced with your broadband connection, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

From checking we can confirm there is currently an SNR issue in your area (signal noise ratio) this is logged under reference F010522237 with an estimated fix date and time of the 15th March at 3pm. This is an estimated fix date and may change.

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused and will have this resolved as quickly as possible.

Rob

Rob, John,

Thank you both for your replies.

John - that phone number gives me the same message that I've heard before but it's useful to have that number for future issues!

Rob - thanks for that update. I'm very wary about fix dates as this issues has been "fixed" several times now (as confirmed by text message) yet the issue is still happening. Let's hope this time they've managed to get to the root of the problem.

Rob,

Follow up question for you: You say there's a problem in my area but I don't think I've told you where I am. My email address for this forum is not the one associated with my Virgin account. Unless I'm missing something, I also don't see any identifying details on the BQM chart either. Based on that, how do you know that the issue you've linked is the correct one for me? Am I just lucky enough to live in the only region that currently has a "complex" issue?!

Also, is there just a risk that the issue is just overutilisation?

Thanks.

Hi @fuzzywuzzy 

Thanks for getting back in touch. We understand your concerns around the validity of our responses due to lack of information,. If you remain skeptical, which is understandable please feel free to check out the information found in your area with this link 👉 https://virg.in/service. We can also welcome you into a private chat to discuss further😊.

Please keep us updated.

Look forward to your reply.
Syd