Menu
Highlighted
deSync
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VPNs on VMB with Static IPs

Hey there,

So previously at our old office we had a problem where some of our workers could not connect to VPNs using OpenVPN, when connected to a Virgin Media Business connection with a static IP.

Eventually I just asked Virgin to change us back to a dynamic IP, and hoped the IP did not change in the future. That allowed people to connect to their VPNs.

We've recently moved. I thought I'd try a static IP again, since it's been 3 years since we previously encountered the issue. Unfortunately we still get the same issue with the new office and connection. We know the VPNs are not at fault, because if we use someone else's wifi and test connecting to the VPNs it works just fine.

My thoughts are that it's something to do with the Hitron Router and/or GRE tunneling which is used to set the static IP.

As I noted before going back to a dynamic IP before allowed people to connect to their VPNs. We may have to do that again.

I just want to emphasize how incredibly frustrating it is Virgin Media Business has not fixed this issue since we encountered it more than 3 years ago, and how shocking it is that they have not moved over to better hardware than the Hitron Router.

So does anyone here have any experience with static IPs blocking your VPN from working. Any fixes?

cheers

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPNs on VMB with Static IPs

This board is for residential customers not business ones, you should phone the business helpline. I do know that fixed IP addresses on VM business go through a tunnel and therefore I believe cannot be used with a VPN. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
deSync
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

firstly, we get better help here with more info than that helpline. secondly the business broadband shares the same network as residential (this is one of the reason it needs to tunnel to get static ips). thirdly the idea that you cannot use VPNs with static IPs seems somewhat unlikely - one of basic needs of any business user is to have a static ip and to be able to use VPNs - it shouldn't be either/or. if this is written somewhere under virgin business FAQs could you point me to where?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

firstly - there is no support for viring business here, as has been explained to you already
secondly - they may share the same infrastruture but they are different business (that's like saying you should get support from Talk Talk when you have an issue with BT broadband just because they share the same infrastructure)
thirdly - you will need to speak to viring business support regarding that.

see here for your conact methods for virgin business - https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/

0 Kudos