Menu
Highlighted
hansi
Superfast
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

VPN

Should I be activating VPN on my router,' I'm a bit non technical so don't know whether I should as AVG keep asking me to buy theirs?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VPN

Been a while since I had a Superhub 2, but I'm fairly sure there's no VPN setting on the hub itself.

The purpose of a VPN is to conceal what you do from your ISP, advertisers, data hoarders and resellers, and anybody else who might be snooping, so they are commonly used for work data connections, for example when working from home.  For domestic use, you can subscribe to a VPN service (eg NordVPN have a very good name, and costs only £3-5 a month for a longer contract), or you can use various free VPNs - but in the case of "free" services you have to ask yourself how and why they are free - somebody's using your traffic to make money.

It all depends on how paranoid your are.  With every year, fresh and horrifying revelations emerge about the snooping by governments and advertisers, so there's good reason for anybody to use a VPN, the question is whether anybody values privacy at around fifty quid a year.