cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN's - some are blocked

vm_user99
On our wavelength

Why has Virgin Media blocked some VPN's but not others under it's Child Safe policy?

Why is this not an option like others, outside of the child safe policy?

Why does VirginMedia block some VPN review sites but not others?

Pointing at court orders is NOT an answer. If this was the unsophisticated sledge hammer VM are trying to use to comply to stopping access to filesharing sites, then they shouldn't block review sites but should block all VPN's, except this would stop people working where some companies use commercial VPN products to help secure their data.

7 REPLIES 7

vm_user99
On our wavelength

If you look in Child Safe, you'll see VM now block "Address Hiding". This is apparently a select set of VPN suppliers (not all) and a select set of VPN product review websites (not all). If you turn child safe off, the blocked VPN's work, but if like me you don't want to to turn it off you're scuppered. Why Virgin media haven't made this an option outside of child safe is a mystery to me but I suspect it's an attempt to drive people into buying other services. They tried to point at "the court orders", that require them to stop access to file sharing sites but it doesn't take a genius to realise that the current measures don't do this given they don't cover all VPN's and this doesn't explain why they ban some but not all review sites. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want full control over your Internet, put the Hub in Modem mode and buy your own Router.  In the many years I've been with VM I've used all the Hub's this way.  It will save your sanity .....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@vm_user99 wrote:

Why has Virgin Media blocked some VPN's but not others under it's Child Safe policy?

it is what it is

@vm_user99 wrote:

Why is this not an option like others, outside of the child safe policy?

it is what it is

@vm_user99 wrote:

Why does VirginMedia block some VPN review sites but not others?

it is what it is

Use another DNS 

---------------------------------------------------------------

vm_user99
On our wavelength

I do use my own router the blocking is done at the VM end of the network. I tried setting different DNS (Cloudflare) but this just failed completely. I accept that I may have made a mistake doing it but couldn't find it.

vm_user99
On our wavelength

Not really helpful at all... perhaps walking through how to set-up a different DNS on my own router would be more useful...

@vm_user99 wrote:

Not really helpful at all... perhaps walking through how to set-up a different DNS on my own router would be more useful...

Bit hard to do if we don't know what routing your using or we have a manual to follow.

Setting a new dns on your router should or will let you access all sites.

If in windows run CMD

ipconfig /flushdns

---------------------------------------------------------------

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @vm_user99

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding blocked VPNs and turning ChildSafe off. I shall pass on your feedback regarding the option to use VPNs with ChildSafe on to the relevant team now. Apologies for any frustration caused.

Best wishes,

Serena