cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN passthrough on hub 3.0

mecornforth
Tuning in

So it appears my Hub 3.0 has recently received a firmware update, as the checkbox to allow VPN passthrough no longer appears, and I can no longer connect to my company VPN while working from home.

A bit grating as this time last year I received my Hub 4.0, installed it, and then immediately went back to my Hub 3.0 as the setting was missing on the newer 4.

I've spoken to support and they've confirmed everything is working normally, and they put me onto Gadget Rescue who insist I need to pay for support before they'll look into it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to either:
A: Allow VPN passthrough on the latest firmware
-or-
B: Revert my hub to the earlier firmware version that included this setting, and prevent auto updates in the future

14 REPLIES 14

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

A. Are you sure it’s missing? What firmware are you on?

B. Is not possible. They control the firmware on their hubs so they can update as they wish

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.1912.304

I don't know if it's definitely missing, but I've checked all of the visible menus and it's no longer there
have also tried " ^ ^ v v < > < > B A", but that didn't work either. Unless it's on a hidden page, or only available through CLI (SSH and Telnet connections both refused), it would appear to have been removed

Use modem mode and get your own router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tempting - but I don't see why I should be out of pocket because Virgin have "upgraded" my device without my knowledge or permission, and removed functionality that I was using.

It would be preferable to paying their Gadget Rescue to re-implement the feature, as at least I'm not paying Virgin for the privilege. With so many people working from home, it smells a bit like profiteering to me

@mecornforth wrote:

...because Virgin have "upgraded" my device without my knowledge or permission

Not yours its VM

semantics - if I pay a monthly fee to rent the device, I dont think it unreasonable to expect the device to retain the same level of functionality over the duration of that rental.

@mecornforth wrote:

Tempting - but I don't see why I should be out of pocket because Virgin have "upgraded" my device without my knowledge or permission, and removed functionality that I was using.

It would be preferable to paying their Gadget Rescue to re-implement the feature, as at least I'm not paying Virgin for the privilege. With so many people working from home, it smells a bit like profiteering to me

Because it's their device, not yours. You give permission in your contract/terms of use for them to update firmware and features etc.

Gadget Rescue also won't re-implement the feature again as it's firmware related.

Residential services are not meant for homeworking anyway, again per the terms of use.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

People should be so lucky there is modem mode.😬

Residential services not intended for home working....
don't get me wrong, I understand Virgin not wanting people to use home broadband to run a business, host a web server, things like that. but not allowing people to VPN to their company network to check calendars, move a couple of files around... that seems a tad short sighted. Its a shame as it's been working for years and I've been very happy with the service.
I guess if gadget rescue can't help with this, then it's modem mode or looking elsewhere