Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN on Superhub 3

@mildenhall wrote:
 It's pretty easy to do and routers range from £20 to £100+.

The lower limit is £50 for 1Gb ports

0 Kudos
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:

The lower limit is £50 for 1Gb ports

You can get a gigabit TP-LINK router from Amazon.co.uk for £17.99 - cheaper than £20.

OK, I spent close to £200 on my router. Personally, I wouldn't spend £17.99 on a router, but each to their own.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@mildenhall wrote:

You can get a gigabit TP-LINK router from Amazon.co.uk for £17.99 - cheaper than £20.

If you mean the one that is TL-WR841N it only has 100Mb ports

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Router-Button-TL-WR841N/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/TL-WR841N.html#specifications

Cheapest 1Gb ports I've seen is this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-AC1200-Wireless-Gigabit-Gaming/dp/B01N3956MY/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&...

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm poor so I got my router from ebay, you have to be patent tho.... however I'm using a £200+ router which I got for around £50, need facilities such as being able to patch a PS4 devkit through a vpn so that it goes via the american companies address, and being able to have dual wan etc...

Also would someone please explain to me the point of 300Mb wifi if you only have 100Mb lan ports

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@stevedh2 wrote:

Also would someone please explain to me the point of 300Mb wifi if you only have 100Mb lan ports

Because you never get 300Mb over wifi.

0 Kudos
craigyb
Tuning in
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Just been upgraded to a superhub 3 to try and fix an issue, unfortunately my VPN doesn't work now so my only ways around this are Disable the firewall, not recommended or buy a router and use it in modem mode.

Thanks a lot virgin media another reason not to use your services going forwards, a **bleep**ty router with a crippled chip set from Intel and so much lock down it's unusable.

Tuning in
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have just joined Virgin Media and have just found out that my VPN which I need to support my work, does not work, similar to all the other people.  Should there not have been a warning to people before they sign up to Virgin Media that your Work access will stop working.  This is not new technology and for Virgin to not support VPN's is ludicrous. I am also most disappointed in the Superhub 3.0 as it does not do DDNS and the management of it is so ropy to be unusable.  Come on Virgin, what are you doing about all the problems you are causing people.  Are there no Virgin Media representatives on this Forum?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@801802971wrote:

I have just joined Virgin Media and have just found out that my VPN which I need to support my work, does not work, similar to all the other people.  Should there not have been a warning to people before they sign up to Virgin Media that your Work access will stop working.  This is not new technology and for Virgin to not support VPN's is ludicrous. I am also most disappointed in the Superhub 3.0 as it does not do DDNS and the management of it is so ropy to be unusable.  Come on Virgin, what are you doing about all the problems you are causing people.  Are there no Virgin Media representatives on this Forum?

VM will not fix router mode when modem mode works fine for VPN as for DDNS VM are never going to add that.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK, so I have resigned to the fact that I need to put the Crap Hub 3 into Modem mode and use a decent router as my Router and Firewall.  I tried to get a BT Hub4 working with this config but to no avail.  Can someone recommend a decent router please which I can purchase or has anyone got a BT router  working in this way?

Once I get my router, I take it I have to configure the WAN port to the same config as my current Virgin WAN port is?  

Can  I use DHCP to  Virgin to set up the WAN port for me or do I have to do it manually?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Many thanks people

Jim.

0 Kudos
dacoeusr
Just joined
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Why not just use SSL for VPN tunneling (SSTP)???

There is no support on Android (mobile) as it only supports PPTP but you can certainly VPN from home PC using SSTP instead.

Port foward 443 (SSL) and away you go.

0 Kudos