Menu
mitchyk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

VPN on Superhub 3

I am the tech lead at a company with 120+ employee, and like most business we have a VPN connections into our buildings, one of our new employees has a superhub 3, and can't VPN - I told him that he needs to tick a couple of boxes (IPSec pass-through, PPTP Pass-Through) but it seems that these options are not available in the latest firmware update ??  (I am also a VM customer, i have a Superhub 2 and have these options ticked and can connect)

He rang and spoke to a couple of your support people last night, the first guy did something and said ok we have fixed it, but wouldn't say what they had done, and it didn't make a difference, he then rang back and spoke to someone else who said you don't support VPN - really, is this true ? - so anyone that joins our company has to use another ISP ? Come on VM..  Either get these options back into the next firmware update, or send him a router that he can use with modem mode!!!

sab70
Just joined
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN on Superhub 3

Further to previous post, I was the unlucky individual who had to endure being passed around to at least 5 people. They refused to send me a superhub 2 or do anything to help me. They were not concerned at all.

I originally had a superhub 2, but this got taken from me by Virgin due to an intermittent fault, so they gave me a superhub 3, saying how much better it was!!. I want my old superhub2 back!! 

I have worked at home on and off for as far as I can remember; surely an upgrade gives you additional services rather than taking them away.....

When I suggested if they won't help me I would leave them they were not concerned at all. So much for ~20 years loyalty. Awful service. 

bally12345
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi I had same issue, I occasionly worked from home and I was using a work laptop with VPN that I could not get to connect using my SH3. However at my parents it worked fine on a SH2.

The fix for me was first disable the firewall on SH3. I was then able to connect using the work VPN straight away.

Then I enabled everything expect "Block fragmented IP packets"

Give it a try as it worked for me. I have since moved companies and no longer use their VPN so I have enabled Block fragmented IP packets again.

Screenshot attached

Capture.GIF

mitchyk
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

That's brilliant, i will get my colleague to try and will post back!

0 Kudos
mitchyk
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No sorry it's still blocking L2TP connections, PPTP is allowed .. so back to my original question, thanks anyway, at least you replied, still waiting for someone from VM to comment - VM, when are you going to update the firmware to add back the three options so we can allow L2TP connections ? (ports 500, 1701, 4500 )

0 Kudos
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

My solution which may not be very good for you is to set the SHUB3 into modem-mode and use a different router. Everything works fine then.

Highlighted
mitchyk
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mildenhall, Yeh but would rather VM add back in the option into the superhub manager to allow this type of traffic out rather than forking out for another router

0 Kudos
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I agree, however you're not the first to comment on this and you problably won't be the last....

0 Kudos
GlynBradley
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The Superhub 3 upgrade has been a disaster for us and we are on the verge of leaving Virgin Media after 10 years.  Both me and my wife work a day or two at home each week and need to VPN to work with a good upload speed (both using CISCO but slightly different software for different employers). The service was very good until I tried to upgrade our speed and accepted a Superhub 3.  They cannot go back to the Superhub 2 once you have done this - it makes no sense to me but that's where we've got to.  Over the last few weeks we have wasted hours on the phone to Virgin and have had several engineers round. They have tried changing port settings etc. We are left with an unstable VPN connection that is severely disrupting our work (loss of connection is bad enough itself but it can cause applications to freeze unrecoverably). Some mention was made on the phone of a February firmware upgrade forthcoming but others denied this would make any difference.

I am reluctant to leave for a slower broadband service but a slower reliable service is much better than a faster unstable service.

0 Kudos
mildenhall
Rising star
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@GlyBradley

As mentioned previously in this thread, you could put the SHUB3 into modem mode and buy yourself a router. It's pretty easy to do and routers range from £20 to £100+. This will certainly solve your problem with the VPN. If the connection issues continue after that, then it's probably a utilisation issue. My area suffers from over utilisation with varing speed and intermittent loss of connection. VM have not quoted a solution date.