cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN dropping Engineer Request

LINW1
Joining in

Been advised by my employer that I may need an engineer appointment to resolve my company VPN issues while working from home.  I continously loose VPN signal throughout the day up to 10 -15 times per day.  I have the highest package with the Hub 5 I am connected by an ethernet cable.  Sometimes the Internet signal drops but not always at the same time as the VPN drops.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Check the office laptop ensure power saving is disabled on its network adaptors, and an always on power plan enabled.  Power saving can can power off the laptops network connection making the internet appear to have gone down and the causing the VPN to disconnect.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

Check the office laptop ensure power saving is disabled on its network adaptors, and an always on power plan enabled.  Power saving can can power off the laptops network connection making the internet appear to have gone down and the causing the VPN to disconnect.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM staff are only qualified to deal with problems of the broadband connection to the Hub, and to a limited extent its WiFi coverage. They are not trained to deal with VPN issues . 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

carl_pearce
Community elder

@LINW1 wrote:

Been advised by my employer that I may need an engineer appointment to resolve my company VPN issues while working from home.  I continously loose VPN signal throughout the day up to 10 -15 times per day.  I have the highest package with the Hub 5 I am connected by an ethernet cable.  Sometimes the Internet signal drops but not always at the same time as the VPN drops.  

Technically VM don't support the use of VPNs, so if they find there is nothing wrong with your connection over the VM network there might not be much you can do.

The VM network is entirely suitable for VPN use. Many of us use different VPNs all the time. 

The problems are usually related to the VM Hub. The answer to this is to provide your own router, and switch the Hub into its modem mode. There is a wide choice of routers, your employer's technical staff may be able to suggest or provide one. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

DC1168
Joining in

Hi, I have just logged a similar problem.  Only had the hub5 installed this week.  Having issues re-connecting to work VPN that I have not had before.  Have to re-boot the hub to enable re-connection to vpn.  Twice today

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DC1168,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues, can I ask are any other devices also being affected from this at all?

Regards,

Kain

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As jpeg1 says... the best solution is to dispense with the Hub and put it into modem mode with your own wireless router.  £40-80 will get you an excellent introductory unit which will cure this - and lots of the other Hub "quirks".

If you wand help selecting and setting it up - just ask back in here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.