cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN dropouts on Hub 3

buddahofbakerst
Joining in

I am having frequent dropout of my work laptop which uses a VPN.  No other device has any connectivity issues, just the work laptop using VPN.  I get the dropouts using both an Ethernet & WiFi connections.  Why isn't Virgin Media fixing this issue, instead of pushing users to put the hub 3 into modem mode and having to buy another router?

13 REPLIES 13

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @buddahofbakerst,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some ongoing dropouts with your connection!

Can you tell us if you're having issues with both VPN and home network connections, or just VPN connections?

Please set up a BQM so we can monitor your connection and any drop outs you may be experiencing. 

After looking into your account, I cannot see any area issues, or power level issues that could be causing any issues with your connection.

Please let me know and we can look into this for you further. 🙂

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The only device having connectivity issues is my work laptop which uses vpn.

How do I setup bqm? And why is that something I need to do?

A BQM will not help you, put the hub in modem mode then try the VPN.

If needed get your own router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello @buddahofbakerst.

A BMQ chart would show us if there are any dropouts or errors appearing with your service.

Have you tried using your wired connection for your work laptop? Also the VPN Will take up more bandwidth than any normal device.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

If you’d bothered to read my original post you would have seen that I get the dropouts with both WiFi AND ethernet connections.

If  I put it into modem mode, doesn't mean I can only use the ethernet connection?  I have a 3rd party router on order, Amazon are delivering it today!

It annoys me that the VM service is so poor that the only way to make it work is to spend more money to bypass their kit.

I do apologise @buddahofbakerst.

I did read the original post, from what I can see it is an issue with your VPN as the only affected device is your laptop while using the VPN. A VPN will always slightly decrease your internet speed, as it adds a number of steps that were not present in your connection before. Namely, the encryption process and connection to a remote server. However, premium VPNs are designed to mitigate the impact of latency until it becomes barely noticeable.

The equipment is showing now upstream or downstream errors, no area issue is affecting your services also.

Is the VPN provided from the place you work for? 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

The equipment is showing no upstream or downstream errors, no area issue is affecting your services also. 

Slight spelling mistake in my last post sorry for that @buddahofbakerst.

Hayley
Forum Team

Yes the VPN solution (GlobalProtect) is included as part of the standard build for our work laptops.  Our IT Team have investigated the issues I am having and cannot find any fault that they can address, and state that the issue is firmly with the VM broadband, and most probably settings with the VM router.  Despite that, my IT team did replace my laptop with a brand new one, with a clean build and the problems persisted.  The problem does not occur if I connect the laptop to my mobile phone hotspot, nor do I get VPN dropouts over another providers broadband.  The only place I have the issue is over the VM broadband at home.  Given I am now a home worker this is a problem.