Unfortunately there is no solution, Virgin lines are very strange. You can read of hundreds of people on these forums that all have had the same problem.
Fundamentally it boils down to this, VPN isn't difficult, it isn't CPU intensive and it isn't hard to set up. If a basic setup doesn't work it looks like it never will.
Some people seem to have no issues, so go figure. However those that do appear never to be able to solve them. Basically some of us have such poor line quality that VPNs cannot be sustained at any cost. I have a Business 200 line and its quite literally pants. I barely manage a 20-25mb VPN and even then its will drop at times during the day.
If you are close enough to a grown up fibre provider just bite the bullet, spend a bit more money and get proper fibre.
Did you have any success with resolving your VPN issue?
I too am a teleworker and I am connected to a Swiss server. My VPN connection drops out at least 5 times every day - I thought it was because I plugged an ethernet cable via a signal booster (into the mains) but having switched to wireless, it seems to now be worse.
I raised an IT ticket at work and they have done loads of testing and monitoring but can't find the issue. Virgin's suggestion was to reset the box, check the settings and try again (helpful as usual). Nothing has fixed the problem.
It is getting increasingly frustrating because I often lose connection during calls and presentations which is understandably embarrassing.
Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, I wanted to post some of my findings from a position of supporting an SSL VPN server as well as being a Virgin Media customer with random connection drops.
Over the past year I've had a random issue with stable VPN connections that appear to be specific to my VPN server and using Virgin Media broadband. Many of my organisations users also use Virgin Media and have the same issue.
Troubleshooting has been a very lengthy and time consuming process but was easily able to reproduce in these scenarios. E.g. Connect a laptop VPN Client whilst on Virgin Media Wifi ( or cabled )… generate some traffic by copying files from Office to laptop ( or viceversa ) or browse some fairly complex websites and watch pings to my Office environment randomly fail.
With the same Laptop and VPN client… connect to a WiFi hotspot on a Mobile phone and repeat… everything remains stable.
When I say this has been a lengthy process… I do really mean it. I’ve ruled out the Home Hub 3 as being the issue by setting it in modem mode and used a Asus RT-AC1200G+ router and got exactly the same issue. After many tweaks ( including MTU size ) and re-tests with all sorts of port forwarding… I reverted back to the Home Hub 3.
For my scenario ( same VPN clients ) I have used a completely different open source VPN server ( pfsense ) and managed to get a stable connection. However this was just for testing.
So I’ve headed this up with my organisations VPN server vendor and stepped through a whole load more testing steps including packet captures and eventually appear to have found a solution.
During a previous VPN server firmware upgrade… a change was introduced to set a default VPN Server config option to automatically adjust the Maximum Segment Size ( MSS ) which can range up to 1460. However it appears that many UK ISPs ( Yep… Virgin Media ) do not support this and has a limit of around 1400. I believe this is the equivalent of the MTU size setting but applied at the VPN server end… not at the home broadband router end. I have now applied a MSS limit of 1400 to ensure it remains compliant.
I’ve also been advised to change the SSL VPN from TCP to UDP at the VPN Server end which … when read about is more likely to be unstable due to the connectionless communication method. There are some pros and cons for each and if your managing a VPN Server… it is worth reading about.
However… I have to say that after applying these settings on my VPN Server and re-testing from multiple versions of Windows / Android and VPN Clients on Virgin Media… it now appears to remain stable!
I suspect most home broadband users won’t have the ability to make these sorts of changes but I think it is worth informing respective support personnel about them.
It would also be nice if Virgin Media could provide some form of business support line to help their home broadband customers. Unfortunately their Customer Services would not entertain any form of discussion to help resolve and simply point to the VPN Solution ( server ) as being the issue. Well… thanks for all your help with advising common technical issues that can affect your/our customers.
Anyhow… I hope this may help some of you out there.
I managed to resolve this issue by reconfiguring my VPN server to limit the maximum segment size (MSS) to 1400... and change the SSL VPN config to use UDP instead of TCP.
Apparently most UK ISPs do not support the higher MSS limits of around 1460... if your VPN server brand is American then it may default to a higher value. Limit to 1400 where possible.
However I suspect most home broadband customers can't make this change and can only advise their workplace IT support as it's applied on the VPN server side... not the client end.
Took a lot of testing to get this stable for me and trying different MTU sizes, routers, modem modes, port forwarding, different VPN servers... all acheived nothing but identify a specific issue with my VPN server settings and Virgin Media.
Now using home hub 3 with default settings and have stable VPN.