cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN connection keeps dropping every few minutes what can I do?

Compact
Tuning in

Hi, another VPN issues post.

My wife and I work from home for different companies and both have issues with the work VPN's dropping every few minutes. I see Virgin don't support any issues where a VPN is concerned, however trying to do as much investigation as I can first. 

Network:

I thought my Hub was in Modem mode (I'm sure I set it like that), however I look to see Wireless is turned on. I'm using BT Whole Home Disc scattered around the house. With one connected to the Virgin Hub via a Cable.
On the Hub Status page, I can see 3 devices connected Wireless, 25 via Ethernet, which I presume are via the BT Home Discs.

I have started a Think Broadband Monitor, not much data to show yet, will add tomorrow.
Is there any other info i can provide here? Is there anything else I should be looking at? 

First question, have I setup the Hub correctly or should it be in modem mode, or Router mode?
Should I turn off the Wi-Fi on the Hub? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/turn-off-wifi
Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Compact
Tuning in

I decided Disable both 2.4 and 5G networks, then see what happened. 20 minutes later and they have auto enabled.

This seems strange.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use hub in modem mode and get a router with 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions on a good, well priced router?
Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What's your budget? What features do you want in a router? Do you want/need Wifi6 ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Compact, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

How is the service at the moment, I can se that there is an outage in the area,

The fault reference is F010491796  and has an estimated fix date of the 22nd February. 

Please let us know how the service is following the fix date, 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi

I with the laptop on Ethernet (Speed test 113mbps) the VPN still does not remain connected. 

It is one of those annoying intermittent issues where we can't pinpoint it down to specific times or incidents.

Kids were out of the house one day when it happened so no heavy usage. 

A reply to a different forum from another virgin user was 

We've been having very similar issues - I've narrowed it down to the virgin box continually reconnecting to the WAN (virgins wide area network), the 're-connection' causes any current VPN connection to drop out - it will also cause the BT discs to need rebooting to reform the mesh network.

It seem to be a issue exacerbated by the with the latest software update to the HUB4. (it seems to change how the hub handles a dropped and recovered connection)

If you check the network logs on your HUB4 - Advanced settings - Tools - network status - Netorklog tab.

you might see an entry

SW download Successful - Via NMS

Then after that every time you see these four entries

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;
DBC-REQ Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided Value;
US profile assignment change. US Chan ID: 6; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 11

Hi

I with the laptop on Ethernet (Speed test 113mbps) the VPN still does not remain connected. 

It is one of those annoying intermittent issues where we can't pinpoint it down to specific times or incidents.

Kids were out of the house one day when it happened so no heavy usage. 

A reply to a different forum from another virgin user was 

We've been having very similar issues - I've narrowed it down to the virgin box continually reconnecting to the WAN (virgins wide area network), the 're-connection' causes any current VPN connection to drop out - it will also cause the BT discs to need rebooting to reform the mesh network.

It seem to be a issue exacerbated by the with the latest software update to the HUB4. (it seems to change how the hub handles a dropped and recovered connection)

If you check the network logs on your HUB4 - Advanced settings - Tools - network status - Netorklog tab.

you might see an entry

SW download Successful - Via NMS

Then after that every time you see these four entries

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;
DBC-REQ Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided Value;
US profile assignment change. US Chan ID: 6; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 11

Hi Chris

Can you provide more details of what fault  F010491796  was?

I rang Virgin Support, I forgot to talk about this fault, they couldn't see anything wrong and said call back again in 24hrs