cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN blocked

MikeT54
Tuning in

Due to Covid 19 and like many others I am having to work from home I was having problems with wifi and ordered a Hub 3 which I was assured would resolve my wifi problems. Installed the new hub wifi ok but the works VPN that I require to keep working appears to be blocked by the new router it was working fine through the Super Hub 2 but is not working on Hub 3.  I need the VPN to connect so I can work ….. can anybody help

Thanks Mike

73 REPLIES 73

spgray
Problem sorter

@Eeeps wrote:

You mention 'new Virgin routers'. Do you know which versions these were and why they were changed?

3 to 4. and most likely part of the project to get hub3 users on a DOCSIS3.1 network to "Upgrade" to a hub4.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Thanks to all for the fast and helpful replies. Eventually we just bit the bullet, switched the Virgin routers into modem mode and added another cable router. Now all is working fine.

Clearly a VM issue! VM have some sort of block, I work in IT and yes not all users on VM have VPN issue but will eventually experience vpn issue. Manager’s VM been working for years, nothing change and suddenly one day he cannot connect via L2TP/IPSec vpn. Turn hotspot on EE and can connect straightaway. 

tested this from other family members houses (yes I have loads of family members) with BT, Plusnet, talk talk and hotspot on EE and O2 and none have any VPN issues. Connects first try. Only VM have issues and some users reported it happening all of a sudden one day. 
One user gave up using VPN via virginmedia for two months and then tried randomly and it worked after two months of using hotspot. No change to hardware or additional software install on user’s laptop. 
crazy!! 

Looking at the issues people are having, especially with MS Direct Access, I am thinking Virgin are testing IPv6 silently on their network. Then depending on which area they are testing, they might change core routers configuration settings to deal with the presumed crappy DS-Lite IPv6 implementation, which may mess up other VPN connections... just a thought.

Interesting theory but try telling this to the boss when his VM all of a sudden stops working but eventually connects if he keeps trying throughout the day lol. 

He has an iOS iPad which does connect to Work vpn straightway though. Another strange issue. 

Don't know much about the iPad's network settings, but knowing Apple, they are probably using a customised IPv6 settings which will not work anyway... may explain why it connects straight away, if not even trying to tunnel/use IPv6

We’ve got the technical support for the firewall involved who escalated to 3 line support who confirmed our firewall/ vpn settings at work is configured correctly and if it is randomly happening with just VM, it’s to do with them in some way which is out of their control. 

Mikeskeels
Joining in

Just had a similar issue with VM and VPN, I have 2 VPNs on my work laptop, an automatic 'Always-on' one that wasn't working and a 'manual' one that was.

Turns out the Manual one is based on MS Direct Access.but I can't access some of our Cloud VMs using this.

After a lot of to & fro with work support I got details, so I tried a few changes in the Firewall section of the router settings (one at a time obviously).

I turned on "IPSEC Pass-through" and magically the 'Always-on' VPN connected.

So try playing with the firewall settings, just remember to take a screen shot of the original so you can go back and only change one setting at a time.

" turned on "IPSEC Pass-through" and magically the 'Always-on' VPN connected."

This doesnt work for the Hub 4, i dont see that option under the firewall settings.

So frustrating, i've got a supposedly brilliant new Hub yet I cant connect to my work VPN.  A Joke.

Hi,

The company I work for are in discussions with some of the technical leads at Virgin Media.

We have been informed that the IPsec pass-through options are enabled by default on the Hub 3, so I would imagine it would be the same on the Hub 4.

If we get anywhere with our discussions with them I will put an update in here.