cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN blocked

MikeT54
Tuning in

Due to Covid 19 and like many others I am having to work from home I was having problems with wifi and ordered a Hub 3 which I was assured would resolve my wifi problems. Installed the new hub wifi ok but the works VPN that I require to keep working appears to be blocked by the new router it was working fine through the Super Hub 2 but is not working on Hub 3.  I need the VPN to connect so I can work ….. can anybody help

Thanks Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No

Have you ran a tracert to the vpn destination?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

73 REPLIES 73

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Hub firewall makes no sense you have to turn it off or get your own router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello 

I've set my Hub3 into modem mode & connected my own router to resolve poor wi-fi and VPN connection. Unfortunately my works VPN will not connect is it possible that Virgin are blocking this connection even with the Hub3 in modem mode

Cheers Mike

No

Have you ran a tracert to the vpn destination?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks that's very helpful to know it's not Virgin …. sorry for the ignorance what's a tracert and could you give me a bit more information on how do I do it

Work VPN's are working on the VM network, I should know, as i am using one myself.

Have you ever tested your VPN on VM before COVID-19 ??

Have you checked with your Work IT, to see if any issues ??

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

I hadn't checked works VPN before Covid 19 as previously work did not facilitate remote working

I see you have a similar set up to me Hub3 in modem with an Asus router I bought & set up an Asus router over the weekend its a RT-AX88U are there any specific settings to enable/disable in the router for my works VPN to connect … I'm just trying to cover al bases

Works IT did get involved last week & their answer was it was at Virgins end, I'm trying to get hold of works IT now

VM definitely seem to be doing something with the connection.

I work in IT, I have VM and it works fine for me. But my work are getting increasing numbers of people reporting Direct Access (a VPN technology by Microsoft) is not working for them. 

You could assume it was something on the individuals laptop, but I took my laptop to a users address that had the issue and I was able to recreate the problem, but not resolve it. 

This seems to be intermittent and after a while it may well start to work for our users for a short time before it drops again. 

Has to be something VM are doing in the background. 

Just use modem mode as router makes up bugs when its switched on so one persons problem does not happen to another.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable
200+ people working from VPN and 40,000 customers all working from home using vpn for voip phones and access.

3rd line engineer so any problems i would of hard about it. not had any reports.

Try someone effected in modem mode with just one sired PC

report back and we can go from there depending if it works or not