cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN and Super Hub 3 fix

sheroo
Tuning in

I started to get huge issues with connecting to my work VPN recently from home and after searching this forum thought the only recourse was to change it to 'Modem' mode and buy a decent router.

However my clever IT people suggested that I needed to opt out of a feature called ANES for VM, this can only be done whilst connected to your VM router and NOT connected to the VPN. It worked a treat for me, link below:

https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings

Good luck.

38 REPLIES 38

Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey sheroo, 

Thanks for keeping your thread up to date 🙂

Good to hear this has been resolved now.

Let us know if you need help with anything else. 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Hi Heather

I've tried the following:

1. Set the Advanced Network Error Search to No.
  2. Re-boot the router.

Am still not able to connect to the work VPN, with a Virgin Superhub 3. Whilst Virgin Media Support people have indicated they can resolve the issue, they can only do that when a paid-for support contract on top of the monthly Virgin Media subscription is taken up. I am hoping that the matter can be resolved outside of an additional fee or hardware (just like it was all free & well working with TalkTalk).

I also would like this to be the Go-To forum discussion about VPN and how to make it work. There's many VPN discussions on this forum and they all contain various anecdotes and strategies on how to fix this Virgin problem, which is interesting to read, but of no use to users with a Virgin Superhub 3. Its particularly important for non-Virgin subscribers who are considering jumping to Virgin, to be aware of all the extra hassle and cost they will incur if they have a work VPN and they are one of the unlucky ones where it don't work. They might consider themselves better off to stick with their existing ISP if this matter is not resolved.

As a reminder, here is the screen shot of the error I get, fingers crossed someone helps:

VPN_Failure.png

wroebbu
Joining in

Works for me - thanks! Smiley Happy

That's great news, maybe my work VPN may have even tighter security than yours ? Hoping to get some help from Virgin real soon !

R3SKT
On our wavelength

Alphabet, I am just dipping back into the forum to see whether there have been any changes to the situation re VPN access etc. I've been out of the country for a few weeks and not kept on top of the situation so as soon as I can make the time I will try the ANES toggle and see if I get anywhere anew. Personally, I am not holding my breath that it will work, but I will give it a go and see if it changes anything. I have already bought a TP-Link Archer 2700 router to put in use as my fall back position, but at the moment I have too many other projects taking more time than I have to spare, so the priority has backed off somewhat for me.

As an aside, I have a 3 network mifi dongle with a 20Gb a month 4G sim contract and that won't allow my company VPN use either. However, if I remove the 3 sim and insert an EE 4G sim then I can connect instantaneously every time .... I just don't want to be having to pay for yet another service when I already pay out for both Virgin 200Mb broadband and 3 mobile data services. Previously my VPN was rock solid until I foolishly accepted an offer to upgrade my 100Mb VM package and they "upgraded" my Superhub 2.0AC modem to the pile of rubbish that is the Hub 3.0 box I now have inline.  On the plus side though, like you, I will likely as not be dumping Virgin at the earliest opportunity to go with a slower service but one with a working VPN capability. 

And, coincidentally, I now see that a whole 12 months have passed since I last changed contracts, maybe the time has already come around to make that change .....

Hi, I had the similar issue and did the same what you did. it was frustrating. Virgin Media tech support wasn't helpful. however, I have manged to solve this problem with a help of friend by doing below. (preferred DNS server address 8.8.8.8—please see below screen shot). after changing the setting restart

Windows

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Changeadapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. ...
  4. Select the Networking tab. ...
  5. Click Advanced and select the DNS ...
  6. Click OK.
  7. Select Use the following DNS server

dns.JPG

Hi that's a smart posting and looks well thought by someone who knows what they're talking about.....Thank you. I did try it & re-booted my machine, but it didn't have any effect.

I'm getting the impression that the proven VPN blocking by Virgin Media when you have a Virgin Superhub 3.0 requires different patches, in different places by different people.........You won't have any of these troubles when you have TalkTalk and if you are thinking of coming to Virgin and you have a working VPN connection with TalkTalk and your VPN connection is important to you (like its your job), you absolutely must not think of moving to Virgin ! Until someone from Virgin Media places on this forum message the antidote to their wicked ways of working.

I've actually been contacted by someone who had a flatmate & they shared an internet connection. When the connection was swapped to Virgin Media, the flatmate couldn't use the VPN anymore, so he had to pay for another separate Internet connection ! So, far from being a cool move to Virgin Media, it actually doubled their internet cost, as they had to pay for 2xInternet connections ! If you're shopping around, be aware !

I would try the Virgin Media chat help, but they are permanently disconnected during working hours. Again, TalkTalk was never down and they'll definitely try to help you out, not like Virgin who try to bill you to enable you to access the services you're actually already paying for in the 1st place. Nice business if you can get away with it, but I actually don't think its legal. so watch this space.

Surely putting the Hub in modem mode with a 3rd party router would have been cheaper than a 2nd broadband connection   ?

Lots of other benefits versus pretty much all ISP routers 

R3SKT
On our wavelength

The real problem is that the VPN data packet type is being prevented from passing through the Hub 3.0 router, and changing the DNS won't make any difference. Neither does turning off ANES, which had previously been suggested as a workaround. I can just imagine the frustration from signing up for a years "support" as they've told you they can fix this problem, only to then find that with the Hub 3.0 router in place, they can't.  What is interesting is that there hasn't been one credible post clearly showing that a proper VPN can work successfully through the Hub 3.0 box. All I know is that the previous incarnation of the router (SuperHub 2.0AC) did allow VPN pass through and it worked perfectly fine. There are simply no tools within the router control interface to allow this to be enabled. Period.

Sorry if this is treading old ground but I read elsewhere that you can set port triggering of the port used by your VPN, or change VPN settings with your VPN to not use PPTP if it's not a work VPN

Seems it would be a good idea form VM to sticky all of these in one thread if they won't / can't restore  VPN passthrough to advanced settings in the Hub

I use a work VPN and a personal VPN and have no problems as hub is in modem mode with my own router, and I'd buy my own modem if VM would allow it, and wouldn't use an ISP that locked me into their router. 

But a lot of people seem to be of the mentality that the ISP should provide the router and won't consider buying one even though the cost is equivalent to only 1or 2 months rental for a service you'll probably use for years, that will be dramatically improved by using a 3rd party router