cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN and Super Hub 3 fix

sheroo
Tuning in

I started to get huge issues with connecting to my work VPN recently from home and after searching this forum thought the only recourse was to change it to 'Modem' mode and buy a decent router.

However my clever IT people suggested that I needed to opt out of a feature called ANES for VM, this can only be done whilst connected to your VM router and NOT connected to the VPN. It worked a treat for me, link below:

https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings

Good luck.

38 REPLIES 38

R3SKT
On our wavelength

Tony, you're not wrong re the mentality of people and their thinking, and for a good while I probably have to admit to sitting in that group. However, I have had to accept that the ability to resurrect my VPN for work purpose is not going to happen whilst the Hub 3.0 box is in the mix controlling what can and can't go through it. As soon as time permits (probably the Christmas break period) I will change direction and revert to modem mode and put the new TP-Link Archer in place of it as the controlling router. As much as I want to change away from Virgin Media for their obvious disdain to my pleas, the pain of changing and having to start over makes me hold off being impetuous. With both phone & TV intertwined on the broadband service, it's not as straightforward as I would like. First world problems eh?

Something very peculiar happened early last week: My VPN suddenly connected, for no apparently obvious reason.

Its 3 months into my 12-month stint at Virgin and I have been on here trying to find resolution to this issue, without any help from any Virging Media people whatsover, without wanting to pay for the Paid-For Virgin Media support package. The only useful contributions to this issue on this Virgin Media forum have come from normal users.

Lo and behold it suddenly works. A fluke or maybe someone from Virgin twigged my home user account and enabled VPN to work on my home user account ? I have no other plausible explanations. The work IT people said they didn't do anything on the VPN, so go figure that one out. Maybe the threat of legal action and bringing to the attention of Oftel focussed the issue in the minds of the Virgin people? who knows.

Finally, I would say that the "mentality" of persevering to get the services that are being paid for, have prevailed. Some of us don't have the time to source, buy, install, make secure, pay for power and maintain a separate Router and when everything is propely full working with TalkTalk, well you'd expect same from a replacement provider. My "mentality" is to fight for what's right & I'm happy with this outcome.

R3SKT
On our wavelength

Pleased for you, but mine is still as dead as the proverbial parrot 😟

R3, I would definitely call them & pull the "I'm leaving" card, its the only currency the Virgin people understand...I'm sure that's the only reason they enabled my VPN to work. Prospective Customers who might be thinking of leaving their normal ISP to come to Virgin, need to be aware that they would put their livelihood's in jeopardy, because Virgin would render the users working VPN impotent. Posting that made Virgin react & do something to help me.

I also got a "How Was it for you: Customer Survey" just after I posted that my VPN is working, funny that !

R3SKT
On our wavelength

I've not been able to do anything constructive regarding sorting this issue out. Our house is being worked on and just about everything we own is packed into boxes. Until we get back to some shape of normality again, I have resigned myself to using a mifi dongle with an EE data only sim in it. £14.59 for 6Gb of data over a 90 day period; it's not the answer but it does at least allow me to use my notebook to connect through to our works VPN (Sonicwall product). I am still mulling whether to pull the whole VIrgin package out and start over with a different provider. I think what really peeves is the fact that I am not wanting to use it for anything other than trying to function from my home-office, the data transfer volume is virtually nothing (hence being able to cope on 6Gb over 90 days), and yet Virgin's policy is seemingly to crimp the functionality of the paid for service through having issued out a pile of junk (more commonly referred to as a Hub3.0).

Hi

I have this issue myself after moving to VM, all vpns throttle like mad.

I did see one guy use Airvpn to force SSL and it worked instantly for him. masking the openvn files, not me 😞

I have tried the Hub and Hub+router, same outcome, just wonder has there been any new work arounds?

thanks

I might as well keep this thread going. I can get a connection to my work VPN but DNS doesn't work but it suddenly did work a little while ago for no apparent reason. I just know that it is possible to get a working VPN connection through a Super Hub 3, I just wish I knew how to do it consistently.

I now have a good connection on a Windows 7 laptop but no joy with Windows 10. I can't really blame that on the hub.

R3SKT
On our wavelength

So, has something changed recently on the virgin network then???

We also had problems with many staff that we're asked to work from home this week using a watchguard VPN client. It either refused to connect or was extremely intermitent when a VM hub 3.0 was involved, all other non-vpn related software worked fine for the home user.

After changing many settings on the hub 3.0 without resolution, realised that the telephone handsets that we were using have a VPN client built in, they were working.

Connecting people's laptops directly to the Hub 3.0 using a cat5 cable resolved the problem,all users now rock solid connectivity. No idea how the Hub 3.0's wifi is interfering with VPN traffic, MTU perhaps, haven't time to investigate, but maybe a work around for others.

Jeremy (Bullfrog)