cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN & Netflix Conflict - Dedicated IP address?

nctibbels
On our wavelength

I wfh permanently and required to use a company deployed VPN, however due to Netflix business rules, we can only watch certain UK content. (Netflix things I'm british but logging in from Florida)

Netflix says just drop the VPN, but I can't during office hours. 

Other than doing a daily router reboot to allocate a new random IP address, any other tweaks I do to get round this issue. 

Can I assign an dedicated IP address to the Netflix URL, and use a different address for my work device/s? Any thoughts from the forum

My setup is using DECO Mesh units in WiFi Router Mode, so just using the VM router in modem mode.

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

Well alas, the first thing is, you can reboot the VM hub as many times as you like, unlike an Openreach-type connection, this will NOT give you a different IP address. The VM addresses are very, very sticky and rarely change.

What are you watching Netflix on, by the way, is it the same laptop/PC as you are using for work or a different device entirely?

nctibbels
On our wavelength
different device entirely!

Can anyone assist me on this one?

Unless you VPN your whole network Netflix can't go over the VPN.

What device is doing the VPN
is this the same device you watch Netflix on?
---------------------------------------------------------------

nctibbels
On our wavelength

VPN is assigned to 1 device. However i have only 1 external IP address on VM, so Netflix thinks all my devices are on a VPN.

The device using the VPN is not the same device using Netflix 

@nctibbels wrote:

In that care your not using a VPN to get to Netflix on that device.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@nctibbels wrote:

VPN is assigned to 1 device. However i have only 1 external IP address on VM, so Netflix thinks all my devices are on a VPN.

As an experiment, if you were to drop the VPN temporarily, does Netflix then work on the other device? I suspect that it still won't!

I think the fact that you are using a VPN for work is a bit of a red herring - there are quite a few postings here from users with identical issues as yourself who claim that they have never used a VPN.

What I suspect is that Netflix has decided that your current public IP address either is in the USA (and that'll be down to them using incorrect lookups) or that somebody who had your IP address in the past (as I said they are quite sticky but do sometimes change), were using a VPN to try and get around network blocks and Netflix have detected it and flagged that address accordingly.

Netflix are in a bit of financial trouble at the moment plus have been under pressure from studios to crack down more on international users getting around regional licensing deals by using VPNs to appear to be in a different country. Ot looks as if Netflix are just taking an over aggressive stance with this and if in doubt, ban - because that's preferable to having one of the studios sending the lawyers in!

I really don't see that there is anything that VM can do, ultimately Netflix control who they allow to connect and under what circumstances.

John

Hi @nctibbels thanks for your post here in the Community.

Unfortunately, we can't support with VPN issues but we're happy to leave this thread open so our helpful VIP's and other contributors can continue to offer their help and support!

Many thanks

Tom_W