Menu
frankieflowers
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VPN IPVanish slow and intermittent

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me.

I use IPVanish VPN service but since getting Virgin broadband 200 and superhub 3 I get terrible performance.

Speeds of around 2kb download on the IPVanish apps which radically affects performance as you can imagine.

I tried contacting IPvanish and went through a few things with them, all of which were performing correctly. They told me to talk to my ISP and reckoned 'isp is choking the speed when connected to VPN'. 

Is their anything I can do to get this working? I've read about modem mode and buying another router but that looks like it would cost £200+ for something worthwhile. 

If no other option I will probably have to leave Virgin.

Thanks in advance for replies

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: VPN IPVanish slow and intermittent

You should first try modem mode with one PC connected to test modem mode.

Did you have a super hub 1 when you had IPVanish VPN and performance was ok?

frankieflowers
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for your reply.

Is that a PC hardwired via ethernet to router in modem mode?

No, I was with another ISP. Just moved home and Virgin was only provider I could get. A couple of my mates have Virgin and Superhub 3, while also running VPN services including IPVanish and don't have any issues, which I think is a bit odd.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@frankieflowers wrote:

Is that a PC hardwired via ethernet to router in modem mode?

Yes your PC gets the WAN IP.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

0 Kudos
patrickjburt
Just joined
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

May need to run a few test, pack loss happening under the vpn and OK without? Different locations ie Netherlands OK or not? Run a trace log, with or without vpn to say Google Com. I agree that Pia is a great service and unlikely the problem, but I use an after market router and hub in modem mode. Also how many connections are you using simultaneously?

You may have a check on the issues here at PureVPNs support page https://support.purevpn.com/connection-issues-with-virginmedia

frankieflowers
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for your reply patrickjburt

Here's answers to your thoughts:

pack loss happening under the vpn and OK without? Yes, just under VPN. I get around 110mbps without.

Different locations ie Netherlands OK or not? Yes, tried this with IPVanish support team. Tried servers in UK, US, Netherlands and France.

Run a trace log, with or without vpn to say Google Com Could you explain how to do this?

Also how many connections are you using simultaneously? I'm only using one VPN connection at a time while trying to get it working

0 Kudos
frankieflowers
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for your reply patrickjburt

Here's answers to your thoughts:

pack loss happening under the vpn and OK without? Yes, just under VPN. I get around 110mbps without.

Different locations ie Netherlands OK or not? Yes, tried this with IPVanish support team. Tried servers in UK, US, Netherlands and France.

Run a trace log, with or without vpn to say Google Com Could you explain how to do this?

Also how many connections are you using simultaneously? I'm only using one VPN connection at a time while trying to get it working

0 Kudos
frankieflowers
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just wondering if anyone is able to help with this further.

Virgin reps have been very quiet about the issue

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello frankieflowers

Your actual connection is looking good, unable to see a history of you trying modem mode with a wired device as legacy mentioned, did you manage to attempt it? We like to do that to eliminate possible hub/wireless/IP address causes by the way. Incidentally this article may help explain how to run a trace route if required.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos