cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Drops out off Virgin router

ashbuck
Tuning in

Hello

I have Virgin wi fi and use it to connect to work from home through a VPN. It's very weird but very randomly the VPN seems to drop and I loose my ability to carry on working. The router looks fine and my mobile phone never drops from its wi fi connection. Its something to do with the connection through the VPN. How do I even begin to try and resolve this when it's so random. Some days a dozen tines, the next day once or twice. Any help much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Hero

We have a Router mode Hub 3 it is fine with VPNs but I only connect an office laptop directly with a network cable.

Often my worst VPN issues are caused by bandwidth limits at the VPN exit point during the most busy WFH times of the week.

I would try a cable direct connection but... my laptop for work has no connection for hard wired, wi fi only which is not ideal. We supposed to be getting new laptops soon, heard this before !

We have an HP laptop here that is WiFi + USB only.

A USB plug to network socket adaptor was very little money & helped video + audio stability in tele conf calls.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

Wow never knew it was a thing! Order one off Amazon 10 quid. Hope this helps will monitor it and come back. Thank you.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If it was a router for £10 you might as well cancel it.

USB to Ethernet OK guess you can give that a try

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nooo £10 for a USB to Cat5 converter!!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ashbuck wrote:

Nooo £10 for a USB to Cat5 converter!!

Let’s hope it’s not Cat5 as that’s only rated to 100mb. Post a link so we can check you have ordered the correct adapter? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Screenshot_20230308_103642_Amazon Shopping.jpg