Menu
a112wright
Tuning in
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: VOIP issues!

Hi Chris,

No I have not got this sorted as Virgin are not coming back to me. However i have seen a link that is advising me to purchase the TP Link Archer C7 which i am told will do the job. However after reading several posts on this now, i am greatly concerned that if i purchase the above mentioned router, i will still have problems with the Superhub 3. So now im greatly confused as to what to do. Do i buy the router in the hope that it will enable SIP/ALG to be disabled and then my VOIP phones will work, or will i still have problems when converting the Superhub 3 to modem only mode.I do not understand all the tech things like SIP ports and UHP/THP etc etc. Im just trying to use my Voip phone service with the virgin broadband. I am struggling with Virgin massively and feel that they have sold me a product which is not suitable for my needs and yet its too late to get out of my contract with them without incurring fees and charges. 

Please help 

0 Kudos
bigdave47
Joining in
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Like you I am very new to Virgin - 1 week and counting - joining as the result of living in an area with an existing telephone infrastructure that is over 60 years old and despite being "upgraded" to so called fibre 2 years ago, is known to have at least three sections of damaged underground cable locally and it is now significantly over capacity due mainly to this damage. For the past year I have been trying to get OpenReach, via my current provider to deal with these issues - noisy telephone, constant internet drop outs. inconsistent delivery and poor speeds  - to no avail and my experience is mirrored by my all neighbours. OpenReach have made it clear that the have no intention of repairing/replacing the cable that is damaged and that the service that I am getting is the best available and i have lost count of the times I have been told that the engineer has swapped my "pairs" to get a better service. It is still appalling bad.

So when Virgin Media targeted our area with a massive investment in a new cable network I immediately signed up for both TV and broadband. No phone service is available at the moment. Then I started to read the issues around Voip and became a little concerned as I have two lines, one for "domestic use" (provider Siggate) and the other relating to a business service (provider Gradwell) especially as I had made it clear that this was important to me when joining.

After the installation was completed I questioned the installation engineer and was assured that I should have no problems especially as their phone service due to be provided in my specific area and currently available in the general area, all new installations in the past twelve months by the way, is actually routed via the cable itself and was to all intents and purposes a Voip sevice.

The SuperHub 3 that was installed has two telephone ports which can be used for the telephone service when available.

I have digressed somewhat but in essence both Voip lines  connected via the Hub's Ethernet port, NOT THE PHONE PORT - self-installed and within two hours were, and still are, functioning without any problems.and this was without any intervention on my part. So far so good.

Maybe the fact that the whole service is completely new from distribution outwards is why it worked so easily and certainly the equipment supplied by Virgin Media suggests that Voip is the way they are intending to provide a complete service in future. Maybe asking them to provide an updated Hub would help although cable networks in other regions could be just as outdated as our Openreach infrastructure.

I provide this tale just to prove that it can be an easy task to switch to a Voip system although I do realise this may be cold comfort for those struggling to get their service to work. 

0 Kudos
Tomo72
Superfast
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@bigdave47 wrote:

Hi

Like you I am very new to Virgin - 1 week and counting - joining as the result of living in an area with an existing telephone infrastructure that is over 60 years old and despite being "upgraded" to so called fibre 2 years ago, is known to have at least three sections of damaged underground cable locally and it is now significantly over capacity due mainly to this damage. For the past year I have been trying to get OpenReach, via my current provider to deal with these issues - noisy telephone, constant internet drop outs. inconsistent delivery and poor speeds  - to no avail and my experience is mirrored by my all neighbours. OpenReach have made it clear that the have no intention of repairing/replacing the cable that is damaged and that the service that I am getting is the best available and i have lost count of the times I have been told that the engineer has swapped my "pairs" to get a better service. It is still appalling bad.

So when Virgin Media targeted our area with a massive investment in a new cable network I immediately signed up for both TV and broadband. No phone service is available at the moment. Then I started to read the issues around Voip and became a little concerned as I have two lines, one for "domestic use" (provider Siggate) and the other relating to a business service (provider Gradwell) especially as I had made it clear that this was important to me when joining.

After the installation was completed I questioned the installation engineer and was assured that I should have no problems especially as their phone service due to be provided in my specific area and currently available in the general area, all new installations in the past twelve months by the way, is actually routed via the cable itself and was to all intents and purposes a Voip sevice.

The SuperHub 3 that was installed has two telephone ports which can be used for the telephone service when available.

I have digressed somewhat but in essence both Voip lines  connected via the Hub's Ethernet port, NOT THE PHONE PORT - self-installed and within two hours were, and still are, functioning without any problems.and this was without any intervention on my part. So far so good.

Maybe the fact that the whole service is completely new from distribution outwards is why it worked so easily and certainly the equipment supplied by Virgin Media suggests that Voip is the way they are intending to provide a complete service in future. Maybe asking them to provide an updated Hub would help although cable networks in other regions could be just as outdated as our Openreach infrastructure.

I provide this tale just to prove that it can be an easy task to switch to a Voip system although I do realise this may be cold comfort for those struggling to get their service to work. 

May I ask what SuperHub you have?

0 Kudos
Tomo72
Superfast
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@a112wright wrote:

Hi Chris,

No I have not got this sorted as Virgin are not coming back to me. However i have seen a link that is advising me to purchase the TP Link Archer C7 which i am told will do the job. However after reading several posts on this now, i am greatly concerned that if i purchase the above mentioned router, i will still have problems with the Superhub 3. So now im greatly confused as to what to do. Do i buy the router in the hope that it will enable SIP/ALG to be disabled and then my VOIP phones will work, or will i still have problems when converting the Superhub 3 to modem only mode.I do not understand all the tech things like SIP ports and UHP/THP etc etc. Im just trying to use my Voip phone service with the virgin broadband. I am struggling with Virgin massively and feel that they have sold me a product which is not suitable for my needs and yet its too late to get out of my contract with them without incurring fees and charges. 

Please help 

I have actually just bought, last week, a TP-Link Arcer C7 AC1750 both to improve our wireless network and to get the IP phone out of the DMZ of SuperHub2AC. The C7 has superb wireless coverage and SIP-ALG is in the settings of the router and can be disabled, this works perfectly.

bigdave47
Joining in
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tomo72

The hub is the very latest SuperHub 3, so I was told, and is exactly as described on the Virgin Media website with 4 Ethernet Ports and two telephone ports. Certainly from my first experience it was easy to install and provides a very strong wi-fi signal added to which was the ease with which my Voip phone services "installed" without any need to change/adjust any settings on the Hub. I was not looking forward to that task especially given the horror stories highlighted on these posts and particularly as I have two service providers. 

I've just discovered that a friend of ours who lives in the same area but who had cable installed earlier in the year has just had a telephone service installed - it took a 5 minute visit from the Virgin Engineer to activate - and he is over the moon with the clarity of the signal.

MikeJE
Joining in
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris - I have recently posted a Hub 3 Voip probem - Ref - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Voip-Problems-with-Superhub-3/td-p/3614512. I have tried most suggestions I can find without success. You seem to be very knowledgable, maybe you have some ideas or (very likely) I may have messed up Port Forwarding or something. Thanks in anticipation - Mike E

0 Kudos
max84
Joining in
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have Superhub 3 working in modem mode and Asus router connected to the hub. My VOIP PBX is behind the router and I do not have any problems. No need to forward ports and use DMZ. Two trunks supplied by UK provider, five by US and five by East European - work as a charm.

0 Kudos
Sidjames1
Joining in
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to come in on the back of someone elses questions, but it appears you may know more than most on this subject. I have a small business with virgin broadband with the hitron router. We had a VOIP phone system of 3 phones installed and were getting break ups in the phone calls(where we would lose someone for a couple seconds and then return to the call).

About a month ago I managed after much effort to get through to someone at Virgin who downgraded the Hitron software and this solved the problem. However, the hub appears to have auto updated itself and now nobody at virgin has an idea on what I'm talking about and i ma getting the same problem again.

Unfortunately, I have no IT chap and to change settings on the hub/router is pretty unclear 

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
max84
Joining in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Good evening,

I am not familiar with the HITRON router/modem, but there is a guide how to switch it to modem mode only here https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/products-and-services/hitron-router-guide/dyna... . Again, the best decision is to use your own router, not provider equipment if you want to be in control. Most of the SP use cheap modems and present them as state of the art routersSmiley Happy

You can buy any decent router, for example TP-LINK TL-WR841N and make this configuration:

VIRGIN HITRON in MODEM MODE -> YOUR NEW ROUTER -> YOUR PCs and IP TELEPHONES

In fact it is extremely easy to set up this. Just switch Hitron to modem mode, connect your router WAN to LAN1 of Hitron and connect your office equipment to the LAN ports of the new router.

0 Kudos
nbye429
Joining in
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We have recently installed VM Broadband and landline which comes out of the router. Phone call quality is dreadful.

I have seen posts on here for a fix SIP ALG but I can't see what I need to do to fix it.

I have a gigaset C620A answerphone on the line.

Please help?

0 Kudos