Menu
netfuel
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VMB Hitron router betwork - loss of speed

I am with VMB and have a static IP, using the Hitron CGNV4 router.

My download speed is around 390mb which is fantastic, but if I connect to another router/line adaptors or anything else the speed from those devices drop by over 90%.

I have connected a TP-Link WR940N router from ethernet port to the WAN port, with the speed being around 25-30mb via ethernet. This router is a 100mb router so I would understand getting a big drop but surely it should be giving around 100mb.

I have connected one set of line adaptors (TP-Link PA411 (500mb)) and the speed is around 25mb via ethernet.

I have connected another set of line adaptors (Develo 500) and again the speed is around 25mb.

It seems as if there is a cap or throttle with the speeds being so similar. Even if I connect via different devices via WiFi to any of the devices the speed is the same (25mb).

I don't mind buying another router with a Gigabit connection that I can connect but I don't want to go and buy one for it only to be capable of 25mb.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: VMB Hitron router betwork - loss of speed

@netfuel wrote:

I have connected a TP-Link WR940N router from ethernet port to the WAN port, with the speed being around 25-30mb via ethernet. This router is a 100mb router so I would understand getting a big drop but surely it should be giving around 100mb.

Their have been issues with speed mismatch where a 100Mb link underperforms.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What's the speed if you test with a laptop direct to the TP-Link rather than via powerlines.

If the other connections are all wired you could just use a cheap gigabit 4 or 8 port switch

With 500 powerlines you can get up to 200 speed in optimum conditions but may not get over 100 depending on wiring and how many you use

0 Kudos
netfuel
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's the fact that the second router and both sets of power lines both give 25mb that's strange. If it were just one I could put it down to that link.

0 Kudos
netfuel
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The pc/laptop is connected via ethernet to the second router buddy, and gives 25-30mb roughly download.

If I don't connect the second router and connect either power line adaptors into the VMB router, then connect via WiFi or ethernet to the adaptors, that gives the same speed (25mb approximately).

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tbh I think that's just co incidence that they're both equally slow.

Either just use the hitron, ditch the powerlines, use a gigabit switch or get a more expensive router.  On the router there have been quite a few posts about some routers, even mid priced ones not performing at 350, especially if any features like quality of service are turned on, so ideally get one with easy return if you can

0 Kudos