cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM router and Google Nest Wifi

HDU64
Joining in

We have had very poor internet for several months now. Last week a VM engineer came out and reset everything after finding that he couldn't access the wifi from his gadget and the signal strength was very weak. He advised that we purchase a Google Nest wifi router and 2 points. We did as he advised and set them up a couple of days ago. The signal is greatly improved and reaches upstairs now when it wouldn't do so before unless we left all the doors in the house open. However I have a question that I would like answered if possible. The engineer said we should put the VM router into modem mode when we add the google nest to the system. We haven't done that yet and I don't understand why we need to, could someone enlighten me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Each hub, router, or mesh includes a chipset that manages the Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) - doesn't that sound impressive?  But what it means is that the device has a brain that actively manages all connected devices, so that your single internet connection can be used simultaneously by a houseful of gadgets.  Each connection needs a DHCP processor, but it must not have two, otherwise they often squabble over how devices connect.  Outward symptoms are often not obvious, but it can cause all manner of weird, erratic and intermittent problems, and these probably won't be immediately apparent.

Putting your hub in modem mode turns off the hub's DHCP processor and wireless, stops the weird problems and allows the Nest wifi to work as its makers intend.

When you put your hub into modem mode, all devices connected to the hub will lose internet connection.  When the hub has come back online (allow ten minutes) but nothing appears to be working, just turn the hub off, and the Nest unit off.  Then make sure the first Nest unit is the only thing connected to the hub by ethernet cable, and turn the Hub on (another 7-10 minute wait, I'm afraid) and then the Nest.  At this point all should be working.

If this turns into some domestic disaster, then your get out of jail card is the pinhole reset button on the back of the hub, then come back here and we can run through getting it back together. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Each hub, router, or mesh includes a chipset that manages the Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) - doesn't that sound impressive?  But what it means is that the device has a brain that actively manages all connected devices, so that your single internet connection can be used simultaneously by a houseful of gadgets.  Each connection needs a DHCP processor, but it must not have two, otherwise they often squabble over how devices connect.  Outward symptoms are often not obvious, but it can cause all manner of weird, erratic and intermittent problems, and these probably won't be immediately apparent.

Putting your hub in modem mode turns off the hub's DHCP processor and wireless, stops the weird problems and allows the Nest wifi to work as its makers intend.

When you put your hub into modem mode, all devices connected to the hub will lose internet connection.  When the hub has come back online (allow ten minutes) but nothing appears to be working, just turn the hub off, and the Nest unit off.  Then make sure the first Nest unit is the only thing connected to the hub by ethernet cable, and turn the Hub on (another 7-10 minute wait, I'm afraid) and then the Nest.  At this point all should be working.

If this turns into some domestic disaster, then your get out of jail card is the pinhole reset button on the back of the hub, then come back here and we can run through getting it back together. 

Thank you, it took a c couple of attempts but is now up and running in modem mode. Just have a few items to reconnect and all should be well. Thank you for your help.

Hi - I had successfully set up my Wi-Fi hub when purchased 18-months ago. However, everything was switched off today due to some redecorating in the lounge. When turned back on, there was no internet connection. We had to complete a factory reset on the Hub 3, which sorted the internet connection but put it back in router mode. When I switched to modem mode, the internet connection was lost again. 

Any ideas on how to sort it?

Thanks.

What firmware is on the hub 3?

Connect a PC to the hub in modem mode and get that working power off hub for 2mins unplug replug the ethernet cable till you get internet then connect PC to your router login find clone MAC option to copy PC MAC to router then connect router to hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This exact thing happened to me. I disconnected the Google router for a few minutes on Saturday and when reconnected there was no internet. I had to reset the Virgin Hub just to get some wifi. But I am concerned as someone else has experienced this that there has been a software update somewhere. I have not yet found a solution.

If you happy to run Wireshark and connect the WAN port of the Google router to a PC to see its DHCP to check if its Bootp flags: is Broadcast flag (Broadcast) or (Unicast) note that your PC will be doing DHCP so you want the one with the Google MAC
https://www.wireshark.org/
---------------------------------------------------------------