cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM price hike... Box in property.. Can I switch?

zudecke
On our wavelength

Hi all,

I think I have a Virgin directly routed into my property, but can't be sure, so thought I'd ask for opinions here.

There is a pretty heavy-duty coax-looking cable that comes out of as "Virgin"-branded box on the wall into the VM Hub 3.

I can't actually access the box that is on the wall (from where the source is), because it is inaccessible thanks to a carpenter who boxed it off as part of a cupboard build.

If it is a "Virgin" box, does that mean I am either stuck with them or if I am eligible for another provider, they would have to come and replace its wall-fitted unit?

On a side note, can you believe the price hike they've surprised me with? I was paying £26p/m and now they're asking for £45 for the same package, which is ~40pc hike. They're saying because costs have gone up :D!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Whether there is access to an existing Connection point for a diffrent provider such as Openreach or not shouldn't be an issue. The new provider will send a engineer out if need be to install required cabeling and equiptment as necesary. If they don't by default I would ask one attends to ensure a smooth installation.

That said VM like other suppliers will often Re-contract you for a reduced price to full 'Out of contract' price, as keeping you as a customer will cost them less then connecting a new one up.

Good luck 😀

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Other suppliers use a different infrastructure so you have no issue changing.

Re price: this price increase is not a large increase but reflects the large discount you have had and are now being asked to pay the contractual price or renegotiate or leave.

Read your contract and look at every bill and this price change should not be a surprise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

zudecke
On our wavelength

So, even though this box on the wall says virgin, a different (fibre) supplier wouldn't need to rip it out/replace it and I should just be able to plug the coax looking cable into whichever new hub I get from a new supplier? 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Another supplier should not do anything to Virgin Media’s property but install their own.

The Virgin Media network is their own and all other suppliers share a different network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

zudecke
On our wavelength

That's my question. If I chose another fibre supplier, they would need to install a new entry point box ? So I'd effectively have 2 in into the property?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, so what is your issue?

zudecke
On our wavelength

The issue is that the previous tenant built a cupboard which is effectively covering access to the existing box 😕

Hey @zudecke, thanks for reaching back out to us on the Virgin Media forums.

Regarding your question to the network, Virgin Media has their own network and it is not used by any other provider.
To find out if you can use another provider, you would need to ring them and ask them whether or not your property is serviceable.
And regarding the internal box - we can get this relocated if you wish, let us know and we can arrange this 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Whether there is access to an existing Connection point for a diffrent provider such as Openreach or not shouldn't be an issue. The new provider will send a engineer out if need be to install required cabeling and equiptment as necesary. If they don't by default I would ask one attends to ensure a smooth installation.

That said VM like other suppliers will often Re-contract you for a reduced price to full 'Out of contract' price, as keeping you as a customer will cost them less then connecting a new one up.

Good luck 😀