cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Hub 4 cant portforward 25

Zak_Farnworth22
Joining in

Hi,

I had recently upgraded from M200 Broadband to Gig1, in doing this I had managed to lower the cost of my Virgin Bill from £116.50 to £79 which I am extremely happy about but I also have a slight problem with my new Hub 4 and being able to Port-Forward SMTP 25.

The reason why I want to port forward SMTP 25 on my Hub 4 is because in my home I run 8-10 Servers and one of those runs Exchange Server for internal and external email hosted locally and without being able to port forward SMTP 25, the whole thing is a complete waste of time. 

The error I get is "The configured port range cannot contain one of the following reserved ports: 25,53,135,137,138,139,161,162,445,1080"

Please help!!

4 REPLIES 4

briancryer
On our wavelength

I've just encountered this. Very similar scenario to yours, except that I don't run as many virtual machines and the only reason for my router upgrade was because VM wants to move me over to VOIP.

Same scenario, go to port forwarding on the router (where it even says "This function allows for incoming requests on specific port numbers to reach web servers, FTP servers, mail servers etc") yet trying to forward port 25 gives the error the same error you encountered:

"The configured port range cannot contain one of the following reserved ports: 25,53,135,137,138,139,161,162,445,1080"

If you've managed to get anywhere with Virgin Media on this then please share.

Otherwise three ways to get that port forwarding working:

1. Change the router to work in Modem mode and then use your own router which does allow you to forward on port 25. I didn't have time (nor the desire) to buy another router.

2. Use the DMZ setting to point to your Exchange/email server. This will work. Problem is that it will forward all ports that don't have port forwarding rules, which might leave your server exposed. This should work, but I didn't want to go this route.

3. If you are already running virtual machines then add another to run pfSense (firewall). You will need to partiton your network LAN and WAN, but use the DMZ setting on the router to point to your pfSense firewall and configure your pfSense firewall to forward port 25. Far more complex, but this is what I've just done and it does work.

Please Virgin Media allow forwarding of port 25.

Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Zak_Farnworth22
Joining in

Hi Brian, 

Not had any luck with this unfortunately, I tried to setup a pfsense but had run into some sort of issue. I sent you an email the other day, any chance we could discuss further about this as I could really do with some advice from you. I looked at your website and saw that you were an IT pro so I thought you could be of help. 

Regards

Zak

Just get a Zyxel VPN300 use hub in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

Have replied to your email.

Happy to help. It might be worth one of us adding to this post any significant steps required to make it work as that may help others.

Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian