cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Hub 4 (Modem) with Tenda AC23 AC1000 Router

Driver1984
Joining in

Good evening,

We know the issues with the Hub 4 are well documented, particularly the range of 5 gHz and the almost non-existent 2.4 gHz, which led me to purchase a 3rd party router.

Having read several pages on how to setup the 3rd party Router, they all suggest to set the Connection Type as: Static IP Address, which I duly did.

This evening, less than a week after setting up the Router, we lost internet connection.

Whilst fault finding I reconnected the VM Hub 4 to the laptop I ran CMD: ipconfig/all and discovered that the IP Address and Default Gateway had changed.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Should I change the Connection Type to Dynamic IP (DHCP)?  If doing this, can anyone advise how best to set this up?  I am a complete novice.

Thanks in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Driver1984 wrote:

Having read several pages on how to setup the 3rd party Router, they all suggest to set the Connection Type as: Static IP Address, which I duly did.

You read several pages saying that?

Change the WAN on your router to DHCP with the hub in modem mode power off for 2mins turn backup unplug replug ethernet till you get internet by your router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply, legacy1.

Yes: several pages and a couple of videos, too.

Apart from powering - what I assume to be only the Hub 4 - off and on, and dis- and re-connecting the ethernet, is there any additional information I need to input when I change to DHCP?

@Driver1984 wrote:

Apart from powering - what I assume to be only the Hub 4 - off and on, and dis- and re-connecting the ethernet, is there any additional information I need to input when I change to DHCP?

Should work with the Tenda AC23 AC1000 Router set to default. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Is it advisable to set DNS Settings to Manual (rather than Automatic) and input the Primary and Secondary DNS Server addresses?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just follow this procedure and it will work

Switch on and set up your own router/first Mesh unit (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway.

Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and all mesh units and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your first Tenda on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.