VM Connect App on IOS has recorded excessive Hub3 latency

horseman
Alessandro Volta

Hub3: v10 hardware, NMS loaded software v9.1.2208.100

IOS; 16.2 on iPad Pro 4th gen and also 1st gen Pro

VMConnect: v12.32.7

Here’s a screen shot:

IMG_2063.PNG

Please advise what extra detail/process you require when performing further Factory Resets,Power Refreshes , and App re-installs?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
72 REPLIES 72

@Horsey

Do me a favour, my good friend? Post a very simple question/statement to the FT:

"Please accept that the Connect App is flawed and provide me with a date when it will be corrected."

By all means add some Latin for good measure: "Estne id tibi difficile?".

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Feel free to add .. "test plene ante release"

So glad these guys are not in the safety critical business ... let us hope the monthly direct debits don't have a 3 order of 10 errata !

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I always have run in modem mode the app and Speedtest are unavailable to me. I have found that ookla supply their Speedtest as an add on code for various operating systems. I have installed it on my UDM Pro router and it gives good results for me.

Thu Feb 2 19:29:22 GMT 2023
root@ubnt:/# speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Orbital Net - London (id = 48354)
ISP: Virgin Media
Latency: 13.49 ms (1.29 ms jitter)
Download: 1147.48 Mbps (data used: 1.9 GB)
Upload: 52.40 Mbps (data used: 26.3 MB)
Packet Loss: 0.0%

At least nine of it is VM code!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Sephiroth wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

@Client62 wrote:

The VM Connect App stats look decent if we read them as :

Hub latency 11.911ms WiFi latency 16ms

Hub jitter 0.229ms WiFi jitter 2ms

Absolutely true, if you read it that way (and you are quite probably right), but what does that mean? There is a coding error in the application, which, of course begs the question, what other 'issues' might there be with it? 

I'm reminded of the web interface on the Hub 4 which insists as reporting S/N ratios to five places of decimal plus quite a few of the channels would report an identical value to the same five decimal places - which is obviously rubbish. So again we have to question the reliably of what we are given, now I suppose from VM's perspective, the vast, vast majority of users never, ever look at the hub stats so it probably isn't seen as a big issue.

.. and note that the VM bod hasn't addressed the Connect App issue.   They can surely do better than that?

No, Seph, they really can't😉

Well not if they want to keep their job, as openly admitting that a VM product is not 100% perfect and certainly not flawed in any way, would be something of a 'career limiting' move, no?

Kei won't be happy with them.......

Hub 3 had a one recent firmware release if I recall correctly where the Upstream Power was displayed as 1/10th the actual.

This tells so much about the software delivery process.

The persons doing the task have a black box approach and no clue about how the product works.

Reminds me of the 2 nightmare assignments working with the offshore firm associated with the PM's wife.

@David_Bn wrote: ……….

1. and welcome back to our Forums.
  2. Can you please confirm if you experience latency on just this one device or multiple?
  3. Having ran a flow on your hub, no issues appeared to be present.   ……….

Thanks for your reply David and appreciate the “delicate political pressures inflicted by your management” but I/we do need to correct some potential “ambiguities” to clarify any misconceptions a 3rd party “reader” may infer on our hopefully ongoing constructive forum discussion.

So initially I’ve enumerated your response and replied ad seriatim:

1. I’ve not “returned per se” to these Fora, as you could tell (if VM management allowed you both time & authorisation) to check the Web server stats since H&S Forum inception back in c2009?
  2. I can confirm (again as per my OP) that we regularly use 2 IOS ( iPad Pro devices) and regularly record multiple network stats on 4thgen iPad but don’t (due to screenshot config issues on my other( 1gen ) iPad Pro) record comprehensive daily stats.I can take screenshot via my 4gen iPad. Eventually I may have time to also x-check with my 2018 15” MBP and also Android Domo smartphone. However, that said….
  3. Non sequitur: Excess latency/jitter may well not display on your Hub Flow tests- as you have not defined any(nor comprehensive) test parameters? ….YET, and this only occurs on VM Connect app so if you wish to provide an evidential comparison with any degree of credibility you will need to provide a lot more detail comparative to my OP at top of this thread.

Otherwise whilst I’m grateful for your response I don’t want to mislead you into wasting MY TIME as demonstrated by some of your colleagues in my other thread! 😉 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

@Client62 wrote:

I expect a Samknows Realspeed test would show all is fine for this service.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once again this is the defective VM Connect App report where the Hub latency and jitter figures are 1000x too large.
Note the WiFi  latency and jitter are fine.

My SK RealSpeed link (since I was removed from SK testing panel with many others in 2018) doesn’t include latency/jitter:

4C6E967A-401F-486A-B0BC-494BD77AEB0C.png

Regards Tony
DEFROCKED

@horseman wrote:

@David_Bn wrote: ……….

1. and welcome back to our Forums.
  2. Can you please confirm if you experience latency on just this one device or multiple?
  3. Having ran a flow on your hub, no issues appeared to be present.   ……….

Thanks for your reply David and appreciate the “delicate political pressures inflicted by your management” but I/we do need to correct some potential “ambiguities” to clarify any misconceptions a 3rd party “reader” may infer on our hopefully ongoing constructive forum discussion.

So initially I’ve enumerated your response and replied ad seriatim:

1. I’ve not “returned per se” to these Fora, as you could tell (if VM management allowed you both time & authorisation) to check the Web server stats since H&S Forum inception back in c2009?
  2. I can confirm (again as per my OP) that we regularly use 2 IOS ( iPad Pro devices) and regularly record multiple network stats on 4thgen iPad but don’t (due to screenshot config issues on my other( 1gen ) iPad Pro) record comprehensive daily stats.I can take screenshot via my 4gen iPad. Eventually I may have time to also x-check with my 2018 15” MBP and also Android Domo smartphone. However, that said….
  3. Non sequitur: Excess latency/jitter may well not display on your Hub Flow tests- as you have not defined any(nor comprehensive) test parameters? ….YET, and this only occurs on VM Connect app so if you wish to provide an evidential comparison with any degree of credibility you will need to provide a lot more detail comparative to my OP at top of this thread.

Otherwise whilst I’m grateful for your response I don’t want to mislead you into wasting MY TIME as demonstrated by some of your colleagues in my other thread! 😉 

I'll translate that:

@FORUMTEAM

Please accept that the Connect App is flawed and provide me with a date when it will be corrected.

Complexity and simplicity are relative terms that depend on the context and purpose of a matter. While simplifying things can make them easier to understand and manage, sometimes complications are necessary to accurately capture the nuances of a situation or to address specific needs and requirements.

There is no universal answer as to whether it is better to complicate or simplify matters. It ultimately depends on the specific situation and what the goals are. In some cases, simplifying matters can lead to a loss of important information or details, while in others, complicating things can add unnecessary layers of complexity and confusion.

Ultimately, the key is to strike a balance between complexity and simplicity that meets the needs of the situation at hand, while still being effective and efficient.

@Buffer6 wrote:

Complexity and simplicity are relative terms that depend on the context and purpose of a matter. While simplifying things can make them easier to understand and manage, sometimes complications are necessary to accurately capture the nuances of a situation or to address specific needs and requirements.

There is no universal answer as to whether it is better to complicate or simplify matters. It ultimately depends on the specific situation and what the goals are. In some cases, simplifying matters can lead to a loss of important information or details, while in others, complicating things can add unnecessary layers of complexity and confusion.

Ultimately, the key is to strike a balance between complexity and simplicity that meets the needs of the situation at hand, while still being effective and efficient.

Brilliant!  The here is a draft reply from the FT:

Hey Buffer 6,

Sorry to learn that complexity and simplicity are affecting your broadband experience with us.

We’ve looked into you account and everything appears to be within required limits.  Have you tried a pinhole reset of your Hub?  This is unnecessarily complex which will suit you perfectly.  The simple bit is finding a paper clip the end of which needs to be stuck into the pinhole reset hole for 60 seconds.  This action will destroy all your settings and thus ensure that your Hub is in a perfect state for you to enjoy.

Yah OK.

Horsey can translate your brilliant note into Latin.  It needs that!