Menu
Highlighted
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM Connect App - Quick Question (WiFi Bands)...

Does the Connect App allow you to change your network's wifi band?  

I know it can scan and show you which devices are connected to the network and identify black spots, but is there anywhere in the app where it shows which wifi band you are using (i.e. If all the neighbours are on the same band, it would be beneficial to switch to one less busy)?

BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Connect App - Quick Question (WiFi Bands)...

No it doesn't however when I was using it to sort out my black spots at 1 point it says stand right next to the hub so I can calculate. It then says something like I am going to optimise your wifi which I guessed at it was then changing the band to do exactly that but it does not tell you what exactly it is doing.

Would be helpful if you could see it.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@deans6571 wrote:

I know it can scan and show you which devices are connected to the network and identify black spots, but is there anywhere in the app where it shows which wifi band you are using (i.e. If all the neighbours are on the same band, it would be beneficial to switch to one less busy)?

No, because the Intelligent WiFi services in the Hub are designed to that automatically on a regular basis, so there is no reason to manually do it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/intelligent-wifi

Keeping your gadgets out of WiFi traffic 

Your Hub talks to your connected gadgets on invisible channels. When more devices use the same channels, you can run into interference – a bit like traffic jams on a motorway – slowing your WiFi. Our Intelligent WiFi technology keeps an eye on WiFi traffic in your home and automatically switches your gadgets over to the quietest channel available. Smart stuff.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

No, because the Intelligent WiFi services in the Hub are designed to that automatically on a regular basis, so there is no reason to manually do it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/intelligent-wifi

Keeping your gadgets out of WiFi traffic 

Your Hub talks to your connected gadgets on invisible channels. When more devices use the same channels, you can run into interference – a bit like traffic jams on a motorway – slowing your WiFi. Our Intelligent WiFi technology keeps an eye on WiFi traffic in your home and automatically switches your gadgets over to the quietest channel available. Smart stuff.

It depends on if you mean, bands or channels?

The 2.4GHz band contains 13, 20Mhz wide, overlapping channels, operating between 2.402 and 2.4835 GHZ.

The 5GHz band contains 19, 20Mhz wide non overlapping channels operating between 5.15 to 5.725 GHz although most channels are subject to DFS and TPC controls.

VM's "Intelligent"  WiFi uses band steering, which can force dual band clients onto the wider 5GHz band. how well this works will depend on how well this is implemented.
There are three basic modes, which are Force 5GHz which forces the client to use the 5 GHz band,regardless, Prefer 5GHz, which will direct the client to use the 5GHz if the client's receive signal strength is above a certain threshold, and Load Balancing, which will try and balance the amount of devices using the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz band.

So, with "Intelligent" WiFi enabled you will not be able to change bands, with the Hub broadcasting both bands using the same SSID you will not know which band you are connected to.

Another part of "Intelligent" WiFi is channel optimisation, as described above by VM.

Not true, CSMA\CA software will share the channel if multiple devices are trying to broadcast on the same channel at the same time. A wireless device will need to determine if the channel is clear before transmitting to avoid interference. This  means that your devices are not just sharing airtime with devices on your own network, but also with devices on other networks in range.

It is overlapping channels on the 2.4 GHz band that causes interference along with a host of non 802.11 devices like household gadgets such as baby monitors etc. etc. etc. that don't play nice with wireless networks.

So, the "quietest" channel on the 2.4 GHz band is not necessarily the best channel.

VM's Channel Optimisation will largely  depend on how well it is implemented and if it can see noise on channels from non 802.11 devices, There are certain scenarios like the Hidden Node which can prevent Channel Optimisation working well.

With Channel Optimisation enabled you will not be able to change channel as said above.

Personally, I have switched the "Intelligent" WiFi off and the VM Connect App has long been uninstalled. 

0 Kudos