cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Good afternoon all.

I want to bring to the attention of Virgin Media ASAP that there is an issue with the core network configuration.

It has been brought to my attention by a member of the Thinkbroadband forum that the "BGP is incorrectly configured and rather than going via Liberty Global /Aorta some traffic is going via LINX direct to VMO2" 

This poses an issue since there is a lack of capacity through this routing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users

This is causing issues with the core network within the last few days.

Please refer to the article attached.

MY BMQ's for reference

LIVE BMQ 

8/04/2022 

09/04/2022 

10/04/2022 

11/04/2022 

12/04/2022 

Kind Regards

RR_THE_IT_GUY

569 REPLIES 569

Corey_C

Hi Everyone,

We’ve now determined the root cause of the issue and can confirm that it’s an issue exclusively impacting traffic passing through an interconnect from our network to the ThinkBroadband server site. 

General traffic on our network is not impacted and as a result, the ThinkBroadband BQM is not reporting accurate latency data for Virgin Media customers right now. Whilst we’re looking to address this, we recommend that customers use the SamKnows RealSpeed application or Ookla’s Speedtest.net’s ping test if they wish to check their latency or network performance.

Cheers,

@Corey_C wrote:

We’ve now determined the root cause of the issue and can confirm that it’s an issue exclusively impacting traffic passing through an interconnect from our network to the ThinkBroadband server site. 

Seems like a good place to ask once more the question I asked earlier, relating to this statement. To recap:

"So, while the Virgin Media statement might be intended to make us believe it is/was exclusively traffic to the ThinkBroadband server site that is/was affected, I think an honest statement would be closer to: "(the root cause...) exclusively impacts traffic passing through a specific interconnect. The ThinkBroadband site is served by that interconnect, as are many other websites and services."

If someone from Virgin Media would like to confirm whether or not this is correct, or whether ThinkBroadband really was the *only* affected website/service, I'm sure we're all ears."

Honestly, @Corey_C, we'd all love to know.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
When you say “as a result, the ThinkBroadband BQM is not reporting accurate latency data for Virgin Media customers right now” you mean the latency delay is caused by this “interconnect”?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Just be honest, we won't be mad, in fact we'd have more respect.

Everything's working well for me, although I don't do gaming (having said that my Ookla speed tests report pings of 8-9 ms).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi darmo. To be honest No - In fact last night - around 2200 till 0200 I noticed more on the killcam. For example me clearly throwing a thermal at a player and it exploding then seeing the killcam showing the player shooting me before I even threw it!!!   It's still taking an age for the pages to load the pictures e.g. weapons and battle pass pages and it actually got to the stage the game just froze when in the middle of a firefight - I'd had enough by that stage 😞

My BQM is pretty much always like that when it's NOT doing the hump thing lol and although i disagree with VM and their ThinBB excuse, I have noticed overall and previously that my speedtests are usually showing as generally ok - I use Ookla and My Asus router - Although the Ookla ALWAYS shows far higher speeds than anything else. A few months back I had everything changed from my Cabinet feed to my Hub4 router so all new cables etc. Ookla comparison.JPGspeedtest.JPG  

Hi Everyone,

General traffic on our network is not impacted and as a result, the ThinkBroadband BQM is not reporting accurate latency data for Virgin Media customers right now. Whilst we’re looking to address this, we recommend that customers use the SamKnows RealSpeed application or Ookla’s Speedtest.net’s ping test if they wish to check their latency or network performance.

Cheers,

I'm going to call you a liar and a weasel. IT IS AFFECTING GAMING AND WEBSITES... 

lol58
On our wavelength

Afternoon everyone. Been keeping an eye on this for a while as I too have been having the exact same issues as everyone else reported here, been going on for weeks. Called Virgin support multiple times however always been told there is no issue and to restart my router.

The issue is absolutely not just with ThinkBroadband BQM. I sit on discord most evenings and every time I have issues with packet loss affecting VOIP, gaming latency and packet loss. it appears to be getting worse, for the past 2 nights in a row we have had websites completely fail to load and DNS requests not being resolved at all.

Had the internet completely drop out earlier today while working from home (only for a couple of minutes but still very irritating).

This afternoons BQM, not looking good for the rest of the evening.

My Broadband Ping - Home Virgin

Wednesdays, probably the worst this week. Spikes coincide with website's failure to load and discord quality loss.

My Broadband Ping - Home Virgin

"You must have too much connected to the hub and need to upgrade to a dearer package"

Perhaps VM are having a purge to get rid of people because they might be over subscribed. Let's take some new mugs on that haven't got a clue.. 

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

Always some excuse from virgin, the fact they are even attempting to blame the BQM graphs is amazing....

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9207-virgin-media-issues-statement-on-latency-issues

Thinkbroadband firing right back as virgin are straight up liar's at this point and it's no issue between virgin and them, if there was it wouldn't only last from 8-10pm roughly it would be happening all day every day if it was a direct issue with the BQM's.... how dumb does virgin think we are 🤔🤨

My Broadband Ping - Virgin media "350mbps"