cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Good afternoon all.

I want to bring to the attention of Virgin Media ASAP that there is an issue with the core network configuration.

It has been brought to my attention by a member of the Thinkbroadband forum that the "BGP is incorrectly configured and rather than going via Liberty Global /Aorta some traffic is going via LINX direct to VMO2" 

This poses an issue since there is a lack of capacity through this routing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users

This is causing issues with the core network within the last few days.

Please refer to the article attached.

MY BMQ's for reference

LIVE BMQ 

8/04/2022 

09/04/2022 

10/04/2022 

11/04/2022 

12/04/2022 

Kind Regards

RR_THE_IT_GUY

569 REPLIES 569

i want to move to sky, but the max i can get is 88MB, is that enough to stream to twitch (as i am a streamer) and have up to 30 devices? (i have my own AX11000 asus ROX router 10GB compatibility) i really need the info so i can run from virgin as far, and as fast as i can thank you

FTTP will hopefully be the threat to VM's high bandwidth monopoly that finally forces them to address their lack of customer focus and poor communication, or risk haemorrhaging customers. Sadly my area always seems to be near the tail end of any BT rollout, so I'm not expecting FTTP to be available here any time soon.

In the meantime it was business as usual yesterday evening:

67b9f2295e532a341f28061fbfdf8562c8961184-04-05-2022

Hub 3.0, 350Mb BB; TV 360, Maxit TV, Phone

@conman33158

How are you finding the BT FTTP for gaming latency? Any BQM graph you can share?

@moonies wrote:

i want to move to sky, but the max i can get is 88MB, is that enough to stream to twitch (as i am a streamer) and have up to 30 devices? (i have my own AX11000 asus ROX router 10GB compatibility) i really need the info so i can run from virgin as far, and as fast as i can thank you

Sadly for streaming it's your upload speed that matters, also if you are suffering from high ping rate it wouldn't matter if you had 100mb upload as it would be near impossible to stream during these conditions between 8pm-10pm as the upload would normally be shot. I had to upload data before 8pm every night or I wouldn't be able to do it during these times. I have a schedule set at 9pm every night and had to change to 7pm every night which meant critical data wasn't getting uploaded, this definitely didn't suit me and didn't make me feel at ease as I had systems backing up and if failure happened I had hours of lost data.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

@darmo wrote:

@conman33158

How are you finding the BT FTTP for gaming latency? Any BQM graph you can share?

I don't game my friend but judging by the BQM taken just now there wouldn't be any problems with gaming👍

Screenshot taken 5/05/2022 18:18

Screenshot 2022-05-05 181808.jpg

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup

That's decided it for me then. Iv'e been speaking to BT and Virgin last couple days. Virgin offered me a cracking deal to stay and up my speed, but if I'm still gonna have a bad gaming experience what's the point. My get out fee is £288 and BT will pay upto £300 they said so no problem, i also haggled them down on my package too, ultimately i will still be paying a bit more per month for a slower speed and some less tv channels but if i get a BQM like that i can finally enjoy playing warzone again. 

and yes it is FTTP i get with BT where i live, forgot to mention it. i'll be getting the 150mb package though as i can't afford higher and for mostly gaming and streaming Netflix/plex, it's fine.

@darmo wrote:
and yes it is FTTP i get with BT where i live, forgot to mention it. i'll be getting the 150mb package though as i can't afford higher and for mostly gaming and streaming Netflix/plex, it's fine.

Yeah mate, 150mb would be more than enough for your needs. 4K streaming only uses about 15mb-25mb max and for gaming it's more about the ping rather than the speed so you should be fine 🙂

actually BT TV box looks **bleep**, and streams the non freeview channels so hogs up your internet. I think ill keep virgin TV but cancel the internet only and then get BT FTTP internet.

Was reading back on posts, also great to know that i can plug the BT on the wall box directly into my Asus AX-86U and bypass their hub all together, one less device using power and one less device in the internet chain.