cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Good afternoon all.

I want to bring to the attention of Virgin Media ASAP that there is an issue with the core network configuration.

It has been brought to my attention by a member of the Thinkbroadband forum that the "BGP is incorrectly configured and rather than going via Liberty Global /Aorta some traffic is going via LINX direct to VMO2" 

This poses an issue since there is a lack of capacity through this routing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users

This is causing issues with the core network within the last few days.

Please refer to the article attached.

MY BMQ's for reference

LIVE BMQ 

8/04/2022 

09/04/2022 

10/04/2022 

11/04/2022 

12/04/2022 

Kind Regards

RR_THE_IT_GUY

569 REPLIES 569

@moonies wrote:

Can i get some information from anyone here following the thread?

What router are you using?
what speeds are you on, and how many devices are connected to it?
in what area?
when did the issue start?
if you aren't using modem mode, are you using HUB3 or HUB4?

We really need to try figure this out.

My person is 
AX11000 asus ROG. 28 devices, issue started 15th April ~ HUB4 modem mode. 550MB speeds. LEICESTER area.

What router are you using?

ASUS RT-AX82U

what speeds are you on, and how many devices are connected to it?

350Mbps, 20+

in what area?

Telford, West Midlands Area reference: 04

when did the issue start?

First noticed on April 5th and occurred regularly thereafter. Other possible examples of issue at even earlier dates but far more sporadic.

if you aren't using modem mode, are you using HUB3 or HUB4?

Using modem mode Hub 3.

I have to agree that I didn't notice it at first as, I was doing a lot on the network so I thought it was being sluggish because it was under a lot of load.

What router are you using?  HUB 4 in Modem mode

what speeds are you on, and how many devices are connected to it? 1 GB and about 20 (24/7 e.g. Alexa, lights etc with two gaming consoles added now and again). 
in what area? West Central Scotland
when did the issue start? Transient since 24 February but constant after 5 April - Same times after 20:00 hrs but occasionally since 16:00 onwards.

We really need to try figure this out. No - VIRGIN need to figure this out 😉

BQM from 24 February 2022  

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e44769d932c0a39ab502856e3940b33533290914-24-02-2022

To add my details

Problem started 8 pm 19th April.

I have  gig1 service with hub 4 in modem mode.

I  use pfsense with 2 ports connected to the hub in a LAG and 10Gb connection to Lan. There are currently 52 connected devices.

Home area is PR6.

Prior to this issue VM staff had reached out to me to understand my setup as the BQMs I had previously published were so flat.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

What router are you using?  HUB 4 

what speeds are you on, and how many devices are connected to it? 1 GB and about 20 (Smart TV, Firestick, Smart Plus, Amazon Echo, 2 laptops, 2 phones, 2 ipads). 
in what area? Telford Shropshire
when did the issue start? First noticed around 16 April, thought it was a problem with new laptop, but between 8 and 10 other devices affected, including Firestick, which makes watching TV difficult via that device)

I tweeted Virgin re this thread and why no response as yet no reply after 3 hours

Martin

I don't get why Virgin are not even commenting or acknowledging there is an issue. They are a joke provider and there is a reason they scored one of the highest on the Ofcom complaints list. 

For me this started about two / three weeks ago following some scheduled network work.

I’m on 350mb using a SuperHub 3 that connects to Wigan/Hindley/Leigh. 

I logged a post prior to seeing this as it generates too much lag to play Quake Champions online and Alexa is extremely slow to respond as are my Philips Hue and Hive. 

Has anyone tried to ring them when this happens? I’ve given up speaking to them following about a year of issues with my hub rebooting itself. (Yes I have reset it, checked connections etc. * 12 months can get very tiresome)

------------------------------------------------------------------
HUB 4 1Gb - Direct Ethernet Connection
My Broadband Ping - BGL1

jbtron
On our wavelength

What router are you using? Tplink Deco P9
what speeds are you on, and how many devices are connected to it? 200M, probably 30+ users
in what area? Reading RG postal area
when did the issue start? when everyone else’s issue started, a few weeks back, it was fine for a brief period but came back after a few days
if you aren't using modem mode, are you using HUB3 or HUB4? N/A

It's an issue with Virgin's wider network. What router, package, area, number of devices etc. is irrelevant.

@Raithmir wrote:

It's an issue with Virgin's wider network. What router, package, area, number of devices etc. is irrelevant.

I totally agree but thought I might as well add info as it might make Virgin Notice that its not just affecting one type of modem, router etc