cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Good afternoon all.

I want to bring to the attention of Virgin Media ASAP that there is an issue with the core network configuration.

It has been brought to my attention by a member of the Thinkbroadband forum that the "BGP is incorrectly configured and rather than going via Liberty Global /Aorta some traffic is going via LINX direct to VMO2" 

This poses an issue since there is a lack of capacity through this routing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users

This is causing issues with the core network within the last few days.

Please refer to the article attached.

MY BMQ's for reference

LIVE BMQ 

8/04/2022 

09/04/2022 

10/04/2022 

11/04/2022 

12/04/2022 

Kind Regards

RR_THE_IT_GUY

569 REPLIES 569

Herewe go again!!!Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 21-21-11 Share Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

I have it too

It's not been noticeable as I have been setting up a VOIP phone and the quality has been okay.

The VOIP desk phone now has the BMQ set up as the default site, so if anyone has any issues who uses it they can check.

My Broadband Ping - VM M100 NEW

Anonymous
Not applicable

A reminder the issue is one link into the VM network so if the traffic is not using that link it won't be impacted.

Not sure how many people would've noticed this without looking at BQMs or running tests, only some gamers probably.

If your SIP gateway were across that link you'd notice. The jitter and loss during the issue would be noticeable. SIP isn't a fan of loss and latency bouncing between 10-15 and 80 ms isn't going to go well.

Not sure what the default site means but I would check the route to the SIP gateway. If it's not via LINX it's not an issue. 

moonies
Dialled in

Yup add me to the uphill battlefield here. Yellow and blue spikes at 7-8pm - and micro disconnects 2/3 times a day. I’m nearly 2 weeks in with this issue. 

hub 4, 550 package, asus AX11000 10GB. About to lose my job due to the outages 

Darkman
Superfast

Interesting graph yesterday, it actually went red for part of the period. The Hub was not offline. Surely VM are not trying to cover up this issue by blocking thinkbroadband?

374f802639f51d3e7762ab3f652d821e0cdb2f95-26-04-2022

Hub 3.0, 350Mb BB; TV 360, Maxit TV, Phone

Frequent occurrence for me, VM still haven't given me an answer. Internet access is all fine right now. It's not just blocking thinkbroadband, Sam Knows RealSpeed fails to find the router, and VM themselves have said they can't connect to my router when it's in a red period.

370699465df581d02fae9a4ee8c222cc5d264beb-27-04-2022

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

A reminder the issue is one link into the VM network so if the traffic is not using that link it won't be impacted.

Not sure how many people would've noticed this without looking at BQMs or running tests, only some gamers probably.

<snip>

I would notice it if trying to use streaming services over VM, e.g. iPlayer so it may impact more than gamers. 

As I've pointed out before, my BT circuit is not affected by this, so I'm guessing it's VM's routing or peering ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cje85
Trouble shooter

@Adduxi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

<snip>

I would notice it if trying to use streaming services over VM, e.g. iPlayer so it may impact more than gamers. 

Only traffic that goes through the congested link would be affected. Streaming services are usually delivered by Akamai or other CDN services inside or very close to the VM network and will not be affected. 

Remember the TBB graph only shows the state of your connection to the servers that host TBB. When it shows problems it does not necessarily mean your whole connection is suffering from latency and packet loss. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd only notice it if it made your stream buffer. Liberty have private peering to the BBC so it wouldn't go across this but even if it did it'd have to be really bad to cause problems with iPlayer.

Think I've mentioned here and elsewhere and others might have too that it's congestion inbound on VM's connection to the LINX Juniper LAN. A VM customer can test this easily enough. 

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Interesting I have had massive issues from December poor upload of 10 kpbs drop of connection I've had hub 4 swapped only had it since December changed in march 

Then internal cabling and splitters and connections all changed and made sure they was tight, local cabinet checked still had issues only had new cable from cabinet to house ( a re pull) done Thursday which fixed the upload issues and download however what I am seeing now is these red spikes around 8pm and last about 1030pm daily it's like clockwork.

Whilst it's happening I run a packet rest on both laptop (wired and on my phone WiFi) and I get slow packets returned whilst these spikes are happening.

Network told me could be connections from customers that have left and connections have not been terminated off so could be someone in a house 8pm creating noise for 2 hours then in stops