cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Good afternoon all.

I want to bring to the attention of Virgin Media ASAP that there is an issue with the core network configuration.

It has been brought to my attention by a member of the Thinkbroadband forum that the "BGP is incorrectly configured and rather than going via Liberty Global /Aorta some traffic is going via LINX direct to VMO2" 

This poses an issue since there is a lack of capacity through this routing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users

This is causing issues with the core network within the last few days.

Please refer to the article attached.

MY BMQ's for reference

LIVE BMQ 

8/04/2022 

09/04/2022 

10/04/2022 

11/04/2022 

12/04/2022 

Kind Regards

RR_THE_IT_GUY

569 REPLIES 569

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup same in Caerdydd. 

@jem101 wrote:

@risc19 wrote:

Maybe virgin need to do a pinhole reset as everything is within spec at our end.

Stop it! 😃

You just got me, oh wow I can't stop laughing 

@risc19 wrote:

Maybe virgin need to do a pinhole reset as everything is within spec at our end.

Yeah, we can see that your download is 5.5Tbps, and your upload is 0.5Tbps...

We can try sending a 'signal' to the core network?

Just want to add my voice to this thread - I'm also having the same issue

Screenshot_20220420_211407_com.android.chrome.jpg

I'm getting the same issue in Derbyshire this really is a joke for one of the most expensive providers.. 

jaxxchris
On our wavelength

Possible VMO2’s efforts to migrate away from Liberties systems?

last time someone tracked the issue to a peering between LG & O2 at a LINX dc over a saturated link rather than via an LG link that had more bandwidth. 

the same has likely happened again. 

Either vmo2 don’t understand it or LG are dropping them hints that they need to move on. 

I am happy you said this, everyone on thinkbroadband know its a saturated link, we have all run tests over there and know what the issue is, however no one here, who is supposedly meant to be dealing with it actually is, this is disgraceful on another level.

Core Network issues should be fixed in as little time as possible, I class as little time as possible under 6 hours as that's what Virgin Media Business leased lines SLA's are.

I know we aren't paying for a business level service, but at the moment we aren't getting a service.

For clarity I want to specify that "WE" is every Virgin Media customer, no one, not just the posters here, every single person.

BT had more bandwidth back in the dial up days than VM clearly have at the moment.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Things that make me very suspicious are 1) the timing of the outage & 2) the length of the outage. Looks to me that some sort of testing is happening or some links are taken out, worked on and then put back. Only a guess mind.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'd add my dissatisfaction to the chorus, but we're not going to persuade VM to change.  The company remain incapable of quickly identifying and fixing such problems, or of communicating what is happening.   

However, there is distant light at the end of the tunnel for me.  Where I live VM have been a monopoly provider of 100 Mbps and faster connections for years, and there were no signs of anybody wanting to change that, but in the past three months my town has suddenly been added to the Openreach FTTP list with completion in 18 months or so, and I've also had an altnet flyer from Litfibre promising imminent availability.   I'm currently in a fixed term until September, I won't be renewing at that point (and it's been an off and on decision about getting in an OR line now for failover). I've already setup alternative email arrangements, and even if I have to go Openreach FTTC as an interim measure that's good for 75-80 Mbps where I live. 

Speed without reliability and consistent latency across the network is not fit for my needs.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Andrew-G wrote:

I'd add my dissatisfaction to the chorus, but we're not going to persuade VM to change.  The company remain incapable of quickly identifying and fixing such problems, or of communicating what is happening.   

However, there is distant light at the end of the tunnel for me.  Where I live VM have been a monopoly provider of 100 Mbps and faster connections for years, and there were no signs of anybody wanting to change that, but in the past three months my town has suddenly been added to the Openreach FTTP list with completion in 18 months or so, and I've also had an altnet flyer from Litfibre promising imminent availability.   I'm currently in a fixed term until September, I won't be renewing at that point (and it's been an off and on decision about getting in an OR line now for failover). I've already setup alternative email arrangements, and even if I have to go Openreach FTTC as an interim measure that's good for 75-80 Mbps where I live. 

Speed without reliability and consistent latency across the network is not fit for my needs.

I have been using an Openreach FTTP connection from BT for the last couple of months and am very pleased with it.

Ultra-low latency, minimum/contractual package speed 100 Mbps, actual speed 150 down 30 up (very reliable and consistent across all times of the day). The BT Smart Hub 2 is as poor as the VM hubs (maybe poorer, as no ability to split wireless bands, no guest network, 4th LAN port becomes a WAN port on FTTP so only 3 LAN available) but wi-fi propagation is much better in my home than the VM hub.

By way of a quick real-world example of customers deciding to move, over the last 2 years that FTTP has been available to my road, I have seen various neighbours connect up to Openreach FTTP.

The telephone pole outside my house connects to 14 properties. When the technician installed my connection, I asked him how many FTTP connections had been made and the current FTTP total is now 8. Most of these were former VM customers.

When the choice of comparable speeds to VM becomes available, people will make the move.