cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Good afternoon all.

I want to bring to the attention of Virgin Media ASAP that there is an issue with the core network configuration.

It has been brought to my attention by a member of the Thinkbroadband forum that the "BGP is incorrectly configured and rather than going via Liberty Global /Aorta some traffic is going via LINX direct to VMO2" 

This poses an issue since there is a lack of capacity through this routing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users

This is causing issues with the core network within the last few days.

Please refer to the article attached.

MY BMQ's for reference

LIVE BMQ 

8/04/2022 

09/04/2022 

10/04/2022 

11/04/2022 

12/04/2022 

Kind Regards

RR_THE_IT_GUY

569 REPLIES 569

Raithmir
Dialled in

Doesn't surprise me. Traffic to my Linux VPN hosted in the UK, used to go out via Amsterdam, then back in to LINX. Of course VM said everything was fine.

At the moment it's a very big issue as some customers have picked up that websites and other services are not working correctly e.g. Amazon traffic is slow, probably means AWS will be impacted affecting thousands of sites. I personally noticed that my smart lighting isn't working during the peeks, last night I couldn't turn lights on or off, all the Echo's were loading but very slowly.

It's quite a major issue. 

Certainly sounds like the BGP issue could be the cause of the large number of issues people seems to be reporting at the moment.

Whether it's just configured incorrectly, or it's routing that way due to other issues in VM's network... I guess they'll never tell us. Would be nice to find out though.

Whatever it is, I would like a fix sooner rather than later Look at this Live BMQ 

It's just awful 

Yup! Outside of the congestion issues on an evening I've been getting packet loss issues starting 3-4am, which clear if I restart the router. I'm sure they'll be back though.

Router power levels etc. seem fine.

c3dc146fe973d3cd3d732f829e1e85d2f6e0aa22-12-04-2022.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I think VM are aware of this already - but I have asked a VM person to come here and comment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Oh yeah power levels are as good as they can be in my case. 4.5-5.5 dBmV

Same thing with rebooting, in my case i get micro disconnections 

SamknowsSamknows

Seeing totally the same, when I asked VM about this they played the dumb card!

Two different routers in different geographical locations - get this daily now

ozsat_1-1649769958916.png

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5